Chapter 53

As this painful thought crossed his mind, Kasser could only shrug it off. Well, it wouldn’t be the end of the world. He felt things would just return to the way they were before. She would return to being the same person with the same face and emotions–speaking and acting differently… indifferently.

But what was Kasser supposed to do with his heart that had just started to grow fond of her? He was flustered and couldn’t stand to mull on this any further.

“How are you feeling, by the way?” he asked, trying to strike a conversation.

“Pardon?”

“Any stomach or back pains?”

Is he asking about my period pains? Eugene wondered.

“Well… it differs from person to person. Some have a lot of pain and are confined to their bed. But I don’t usually have too much pain. You seem to be well informed on these matters..”

“Well, I was taught about it before,” Kasser said honestly.

“Taught? By whom?” Eugene was greatly surprised that this cold and unfeeling man before her was privy to the physical ordeals women were subjected to. But, where did he learn this?

“Marianne.”

“What did Marianne tell you?”

“As a child, I was scolded a lot… whenever she experienced one of those.” Kasser told her sheepishly.

Eugene burst into laughter. She could imagine the King give short responses to Marianne as she scolded him, just like a mother would her child. Today, Kasser finally looked like a normal human being, not a domineering King.

A warm feeling spread within as Kasser watched her laugh. He felt a sense of accomplishment, even if she was laughing at him.

“If you don’t mind… may I join you for a walk?” He became a little bolder.

Kasser wanted to talk to her more, get to know her better. He did spend time with her, but that was at night. They had never had a proper conversation before. To be fair, who in a sane mind would engage in a conversation when in the throes of passion? By the time he was satisfied, she’d be exhausted. And no matter how much he wanted to, he could hold no conversation with a slumbering beauty.

But today was different. It felt like he had been presented with his very first opportunity to talk to her.

You are a little insensitive, Your Majesty, Marianne’s voice flitted past Kasser’s mind. He was determined to redeem himself.

“Are you not busy?” Eugene asked with concern.

Kasser instantly thought back to the pile of papers on his desk, but still shook his head. “Not really.”

“Very well, then. Let’s walk together.”

But before they even took a step, Eugene turned around to Zanne and instructed her to wait there. She didn’t want to hear his stiff manner of speaking whenever the staff was near. She hoped she’d see more of the real, unguarded Kasser.

The two walked in an awkward silence not knowing what to say until Eugene mustered the courage to break it. She decided to talk about what was troubling her mind.

“Your Majesty, about the help I offered to the missing servants’ families…”

“What about it? Is there more?”

“No, I just wanted to thank you for it,” Eugene said, sincerely.

Kasser looked at Eugene, trying to understand her, searching her face for truth. “Well, it was your doing, not mine.”