Chapter 24

Betrayal.

I had my own ugly experience with betrayal before. First, when my mother stepped out of the door and out of our lives. It did as much damage a heartache could cause to a 10-year-old heart.

The second betrayal was with my father. When he promised to take care of me by selling his paintings, only to get rejected proposal after proposal until it broke his spirits. He blamed himself for not being good enough for my mother, and for his clients. He blamed his hand for not being able to paint the way he used to before. He blamed everything but me until he succumbed into his own demise by taking pills beyond his body could tolerate.

Papa fell asleep. And he never woke up again.

I gathered air in my lungs when my hands started trembling. Sinisi ko kaagad ang sarili dahil pinakialaman ko pa ito. I folded the paper neatly and placed it back into Rigor's compartment as my entire world crumbled before me.

Through the car window, I easily spotted him walking back into the car with a small smile on his face. Dala niya ang strawberry juice na pinapabili ko sa kaniya. He entered the car and hands it to me.

"Thanks,"

He immediately noticed my gloomy expression because he keeps glancing at me while buckling his own seatbelt.

"Ayos ka lang?"

Matamlay akong tumango. "Mainit," pagdadahilan ko saka sinimsiman ang inumin. I felt like puking, so I rested my head for a bit. Kanina gustong-gusto ko ng strawberry juice pero ngayon halos hindi ko na masikmura.

I didn't touch the strawberry juice again and didn't glance at him even once during the entire ride. My mind is racing. It's Sorcha's 4th day of funeral today. I am banned from attending her funeral, and Kirby is still mad at me. Just like her parents, he wants someone to blame. There is no one. There's only me.

Iniiwasan ko nang mag-overthink dahil sa purwesiyong dulot nito sa akin, noon pa man. Pero kahit anong gawin ko, hindi ko talaga mapigilan ang sarili.

How could he do that to me? Has he been planning this all along?

A sob rose to my throat. I bit my lower lip and tried to think of something else instead but it's hard to do that when you are in an enclosed space with the guy who's been torturing your mind.

Hindi ako umimik nang makarating na kami. I left the untouched strawberry juice inside the car and went out immediately. Rigor hurried after me. Before I could reach the doorknob, he's grabbing my arm.

"Teka, may ginawa ba ako?" his voice is a mix of confusion and worry.

I shook my head. "Wala."

"Czarina..."

I took in a deep breath and glanced at him. "Not now, Rigor. You should go back to the hospital."

He hesitated while looking at me with genuine worry flashing in his forest eyes. I looked away. Damn it. I hate to see that look. I know I'll give in if he gives me that look.

"Okay." His shoulders slumped as he backed away slowly. Mahigpit na ngayon ang hawak ko sa doorknob habang pinapanuod ko siyang maglakad pabalik patungo sa sasakyan niya.

"Rigor!" I called as he reached for his car door.

He looked up at me, but says nothing.

I swallowed hard. "Is there anything... you want to say to me?"

A line of worry and confusion appears on his brows again. I opened my mouth to speak, but close it again and shakes my head.

"Nevermind. I'll just text you."