3

"Are we there yet?"

"Why? Do you have to go somewhere else?" She mocked.

"No, I'm just curious"

"We'll be there in a minute, enjoy the view"

"I already did"

"I don't think so, You wouldn't be whining about the distance then"

I remained silent. Clearly this girl has an answer for everything, and I don't like that, but I can't scold her, I'm in no position to do so, I'm just and outsider and she's the one in charge -of me-, so I'll just shut it and nodd to what she says.

"See? We're here!" She celebrated after a few minutes. It was a wide green space with little plants. I actually couldn't see watermelons. In my head, I thought it'd be a camp full of big juicy fruits everywhere, but it wasn't the case.

"It's a small camp actually, but produces enough to give the elders fruit boxes every weekend."

"Are these watermelon plants?"

"Have you never seen one?"

"No, I've just bought the watermelon."

"You are a city boy" she again stated chuckling. For my own good I'll just remain silent.

"Do we pick up all of them?"

"You need to pick up the ones from medium to large size, and they have to be bright green with slim traces of dark green."

"Like a normal watermelon?"

"Like a normal watermelon yes" she giggled.

We spent at least 3 hours just picking up the ones that were ready to eat. Back in the dorms we are always lifting weights, but watermelons somehow are way more heavy. I was already sweating like crazy, and I felt my face really hot.

"Sam, your face got burned, you should apply some first aid cream when we get to the canteen."

I'm not used to people calling me that, it was weird. "Yeah I guess I didn't apply enough sun lotion" I laughed. She stared at me with raised brows, it made me feel awkward.

"W-what?"

"So you know how to smile" she placed a watermelon inside the basket and removed the dirt from her hands. "I know we just met yesterday, but I haven't seen you smile since. You have a cute smile"

What's with her boldness? Saying it out of nowhere.

She's right though. It's been difficult for me to smile or feel well. Ever since announcing my temporary departure, it's only been hard. Reading hate comments and that being the only thing I found, it hits hard; but I deserve this. I acted wrong, selfishly, and only cared about myself.

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable, I'm sorry" she apologized since I didn't say anything regarding her comment.

"No, I'm sorry, I spaced out. Thank you for the compliment" I bowed.

"Why are you so formal?" She chuckled kind of annoyed, turning around to put the baskets in the cart. "Come on, we still have to slice these" she pointed with her head to the watermelons.

She got on the little cart and waited for me to hop on too. I wonder why we walked all the way here when there was a perfectly functioning cart available.

"I thought it'd be good for you to walk and distract yourself a bit from whatever's troubling you, that's why I didn't bring the cart all the way down."

Is she reading my mind??

"It's fine, I enjoyed the view".

We got shortly to the canteen. She told me the elders use to come here to have a feast once every month, as a celebration for the food gathered around town during the month. The rest of the day they eat normally at home, but Hayul is in charge of snacks and fruit boxes for them.