Chapter Twenty Seven - Second Fights and Mystery Women

Kyle and I sat in our front row eats, nearest to the fighting ring.

"Man, it's going to feel so weird not to be fawned on by girls today." Kyle lamented.

I smiled, "You didn't have to sit with me but thanks for keeping me company regardless."

"Are you kidding me? I doubt Lucas would've fought if you were sitting here alone."

I shot him a look. Kyle was teasing, of course. Nothing would have stopped Lucas from winning this championship. But, a small part of me desperately wanted to believe there may be something more there. And that part scared me. "How long have you two known each other?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, I've known the brothers for years. My dad was Lucas's dad's accountant. But he retired a while back." Kyle responded pulling out his wallet and buying a pack of popcorn from the cart going around the isles. "Want anything?" He asked.

I shook my head, "I'm good, thanks." I didn't know how anyone could eat when they were about to see their friend potentially pummelled. Other than Daniel, I suppose. He was a bottomless pit.

"So what about you? Are you seeing anyone?" Kyle asked out of the blue.

I laughed thinking it was a joke but he just continued to look at me with a serious expression. It was the most serious expression I'd ever seen on him in the short span of time I'd known him. "I'm not, why?"

"Just wondering," he shrugged shovelling a handful of popcorn into his mouth. He turned to look at me, "Ever cheated on someone?"

"No!" I responded, slightly offended. "Have you?"

"Nah, I'm not the cheating type." He explained. "I'm more the one-night-stand, leave-in-the-morning type. But any and all parties are notified prior to said excursion."

I raised an eyebrow at the technical terminology, "My mom is a criminal defence lawyer, but the majority of the cases she takes on are rape victim cases. I guess it's made me hyper aware of situations that can get back easily." Kyle explained.

"That's pretty amazing," I stated in awe of his mom and Kyle nodded, smiling widely.

The lights began to dim and directed to the entrance on the left. "Here we go," Kyle rubbed his hands together excitedly.

"We've waited and here we finally are - the second match on the ladder to becoming the middleweight champion of the world!" Dan's familiar voice sounded on the speakers.

"That's right, Dan. Today we've got an impeccable fight lined up. Both, extraordinary fighters, really. We've got last round's winner, Lucas Miller and today's competition, Aaron 'The Savage' Douglas." Mark commented.

"This really is the fight to watch. It'll be a dandy. Both have unblemished records and have lost no fights along their way to stardom. The road to the championship will only get harder from here." Dan stated.

The lights flickered to an entrance on the left and loud music began to play. My heart felt like it was thumping louder than the speakers were.

"On the left, we've got Aaron 'The Savage' Huang. He's 28, coming in at 183 pounds and is 6"4. He's got a record of 40 wins and zero defeats and an impeccable history in jujitsu." Mark introduced.

"This is an even match, Mark." Dan continued. "Best man takes the crown."

The lights flickered to the opposite side and I turned to see Lucas walking out with Miguel at his right and Daniel on his left. Daniel had the biggest smile on his face as he wheeled in proudly.