26

Chapter Twenty Six - Home Sweet Home

As soon as I step into my house a shiver runs up my spine. Before I left the car Theo told me the officers took the broken laptop and phones as well as pictures. I slowly walk down the hallway as memories of what happened flash through my mind. Shaking my head, I look over at the kitchen where the grocery bags I used that day are folded on the countertop.

"Ari?" I call as she starts walking towards her bedroom. "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Okay." She nods as I grab her hand and move us towards the couch. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong baby. I just wanted to talk to you about how you're feeling." I smile as I run my fingers through her hair. "Are you okay? Do you want to talk about what happened?"

She bites her lip and is quiet for a long moment. "I thought I would never see you again."

"I know, I thought so too but thank you for listening to me. You'll always be my top priority." I smile when she nods.

"Why did he do that to us?" She asks with a deep frown.

"He wanted to build a relationship with you and be more involved in your life. I understand our family isn't like most of your friends because you don't have a dad. So, I was giving him a chance." I whisper as tears brim my eyes once again. "I'm so sorry."

"But you didn't do anything wrong?" She frowns in confusion. "He did."

"I-I know but...some things happened and I should have told the police but I didn't." I inhale shakily as I wipe away a traitorous tear. "That's why I'm sorry Aria. I should have protected you better but I didn't see through his lies and acting."

"It's okay but don't be sorry mum. You did protect me...when we were in that place you told me to leave first." She smiles and hugs me tightly. "And I don't want a dad. I have you and grandma...and Theo too now."

That makes me laugh and I nod. "Thank you. If you ever want to talk about it come to me okay? If you have nightmares or feel scared come to me. I'm always here for you."

"Uh...I had a nightmare when were in the hotel." She admits softly and pulls back to look at me sheepishly. "It was about him but you and Theo were sleeping. I didn't want to wake you up. You looked tired in the hospital."

"Wake me up next time please. Don't think about how I'm feeling or what time it is okay? I don't care about that and will always take care of you no matter what." I explain and she nods in understanding.

"Thanks mum. I love you."

"I love you too...more than I can tell you in words." I smile and pepper kisses to her face.

"Stop crying then!" She giggles as she wipes my tears.

"Okay, let's go pack." I grin and she immediately starts rambling about how excited she is to go to the ranch and see grandma, Noah and of course, her beloved horse Crystal.

With a soft sigh I grab our luggage bags and start packing quickly. I can't shake the feeling of what happened though and it only confirms my decision to find somewhere new to rent. This doesn't feel like home anymore. Theo agreed easily when I talked to him about it on the plane.

I called my grandmother before our flight and again as soon as we landed. Theo told her to go over to the ranch since we'll be heading there and she agreed. I help pack the last of Aria's things next before looking for any food that may perish. Thankfully, Theo seems to have taken that too.