Chapter 58 ~ The Assassins Guild

The current Marquis of Frederique was a respected businessman, and a trusted ally of the Emperor. As a feudal lord who held a trusted position in the borderlands, he focused on providing warning of military incursions and oversaw cross-border trade.

"How did you grow up to be so troublesome?" the Marquis muttered. He looked at his son softly, his forehead furrowed with lines. "Most importantly, though, you should be engaged. I have seen Lady Lynette in portraits—she is quite the beauty."

Laikin stood across the desk from him, slammed his hand down on it. "Break the engagement agreement," he said coldly. His blue eyes flickered dangerously. "I will not marry that woman."

After looking at him for a while, the Marquis clicked his tongue in wonder. Laikin's hair was windblown and wild, and his clothes were dirty. His son spent fourteen hours straight on horseback from the capital.

"Arranged marriages are normal, Laikin," he finally said. "Did you truly need to ride fourteen hours straight just to throw a tantrum?"

"You're not listening to me," Laikin continued shouting. He slammed his fist down again on the desk, punctuating each word. "I. Said. No."

"Laikin James de Frederique, you will marry Lady Lynette and that is final."

He gritted his teeth together and ground out, "I hate you." Without a word, stormed out of the room and slammed the door behind him. 

He couldn't take it. He couldn't have thought it more annoying. With everyone against him, he had no choice but to obey. But he wouldn't let it end this way. Lynette de Ruenz, an abominable socialite who clearly despised his beloved Dylan. There was no doubt in his mind, he wanted her gone, he wanted her never to go near him. 

"Lord Laikin, will we be staying?" a servant asked him.

"Shut up," he deadpanned. "Everyone's so fucking noisy."

The servant paled a bit, but managed not to flinch outright. He knew what his master's true personality was like.

Laikin tensed his neck and tried to steady his breathing. At times like these it was hard for him to keep up his facade of innocence. He had to get rid of her. He had to get rid of that pest.

"Prepare to depart immediately," he said. He buried his face in his hands, and then rubbed his hands through his hair in frustration. "We must reach the capital before sundown. Only a member of the Assassins Guild could pull this off."

The servant bowed a final time, and scurried off to prepare the horses.

'Just how far do I have to go for you to finally look at me, Dylan? How can I tie you to me?'

***

"Milady, are you even listening to me?" Jessie scolded. She stomped her feet in frustration as they walked. "How are you not ashamed of your choices?"

Ever since she had arrived in the morning, Jessie had been scolding her about her impulsive actions. Dylan found it rather humorous as her words went in one ear and out the other. But Dylan really couldn't focus. All her attention was focused on—

Cadence flashed her a charming smile, and she noticed again how handsome he was. She turned her head away and went quickly past him towards the dining room. As hard as she tried, she couldn't stop staring at him.

'I've been having weird thoughts ever since that dream last night.'

It was the most realistic dream she had ever had. She touched her lips, remembering the way her body shivered while he kissed her in her dream. How hot it made her. Would it feel the same way in real life?