Bokuto Koutarou - One Track at a Time

AU: Single parent

AU: Single parent

Requested

Tags/ Warnings: FEM! Reader

Word Count: 1.3k+

•──────⋅☾ ☽⋅──────•

"Please," you said, "please just try for me. I'll be back before you know it."

Ayaka shook her head. Your seven year-old daughter pouted and crossed her arms. "No."

You knew where she learned that gesture and you had no one to blame but yourself. You smiled again. "Pretty please?"

Ayaka lifted her chin, ready to shake her head. Then she stopped, a thoughtful look took over her face. "Ice cream. Chocolate and vanilla."

"It's past six, Ayaka," you reasoned, "you're going to stay up all night."

"Then it's good that Bokuto's here," she said, and though her voice was light—taking note that the man in question was standing not a metre behind her—Ayaka's eyes narrowed at you.

You smiled down at her, not sure if you were more offended or proud. You crouched down, meeting her at eye level, and opened your arms. "Come here."

Ayaka hesitated for a moment before running into your arms. "Be nice," you said, "I love you."

"I love you too."

You pulled back and kissed her forehead. "Thank you."

She nodded and kissed your forehead back. "Don't forget, chocolate and vanilla."

You laughed and stood up. "Go play. I'll be back soon."

As soon as Ayaka focused on her train set, Bokuto walked towards you. He looked at you for a long second then pulled you into a hug, resting his head against yours. "We'll be fine."

You paused. "I know."

Bokuto scoffed. "You don't sound so sure."

"She's still adjusting," you mumbled. "I'm sorry—I could still ask for my sitter to come and—"

"Don't worry about that," he said, pulling back from the hug. Bokuto grinned at you and brushed your hair back from your face. "Bring me back some strawberry ice cream."

"Where did she even learn that?"

"You're her mother," Bokuto said, "you tell me. I can tell, though, that you're just a bit proud of her for it."

"Maybe..." you wandered off. "I think if she uses it against you, I'd be even more proud."

Bokuto stuck his tongue out at you. "I expect very expensive ice cream," he said. "You can afford it."

You shrugged, smiling. "I know I can. I'll be back soon."

"We'll be fine," he repeated. Bokuto leaned in and kissed you on the cheek. "Get outta here."