48 | Joie

"She's not accepting any visitors

"She's not accepting any visitors."

We were here to visit Jade the next morning and the receptionist wouldn't budge on breaking the rule, even with us saying that we were her sisters. I groaned in anger when I heard the ding of an elevator and looked that way. Jade's mother, Joan, came out wearing a casual t-shirt and capri pants when we rushed over to her.

"Good morning, Mrs. Joan. How's Jae?" Caren asked.

Joan's face read exhaustion. "She's sleeping mostly with the pain medication. But she's doing okay, considering." She fixed the strap of her purse on her shoulder before appearing confused. "Why aren't y'all up there?"

"She told us that Jade's not accepting visitors." I told her.

"Cairo really wants her to rest," Joan sighed and at the mention of him I rolled my eyes.

Caren glanced at me. "Is...Cairo up there?"

"Hasn't left her side," Joan said. "She gave her statement to the police about an hour ago."

"Really?" I folded my arms, "What did she say happened?"

"Home invasion. She said it was two burglars, young guys, probably in their twenties. They had on masks, but she recognized their voices. So once they're caught they will be charged to the fullest extent. Can't believe someone would do this." Joan shook her head, blowing out a tired breath. "I have to go change. Jade wants me to rest."

"Mrs. Joan, before you go—"

"Jojo, no, not now." Caren told me quietly.

Joan stared at me, waiting on me to speak and I planned on blurting out that her beloved son in-law was who shot her and bring up the text Jade planning to leave before it happened. But the look on Caren's face made me hesitate.

Fuck!

"Uhm, when you come back, could you have Jade call us? We just wanna hear her voice."

Joan spread a soft smile on her mouth. "Of course, sweetheart."

Joan leaves, and I turned to Caren. "Are you protecting him?"