Chapter 1

Welcome to the town of Reavenhill!

_____________________________________________________

Nicholas Cavanaugh
__________________________________

"Who gave you these samples for the DNA testing, Woods?" I asked the man standing in front of me with two DNA reports, proving that I had two kids, twins, I never knew about.

"Delilah Martin, their adoptive mother. She and her late husband, Richard White, adopted the twins after Clarissa Monroe was found dead. They were neighbours back in LA, but now, after Richard White's death, they moved to Reavenhill six months ago. They live about two hours from here." Samuel Woods, my uncle's assistant said.

"Why does she want to give them away?"

"She said she wanted them to have a real family, but, she also wishes to see them occasionally if you decide to bring back both of them to the family." He replied, as I stared at the twins' photo.

Reign had beautiful features, similar to Clarissa, while River looked as if cut out of the same mold as me.

"Tell me more about them" I said, as there wasn't much information about them in the files.

"Well, they have good grades, and according to former classmates and teachers, good personalities. River has a high IQ, and has participated in national and international level examinations since he was a child. While Reign has led her basketball team to the state championships, and could've advanced if the hadn't quit the team four years ago. And when we dug deeper, we found thet they have opened a club and a restaurant in Reavenhill about three months ago." He replied, flipping through his notes.

"Club and a restaurant? Have I heard of them?" I asked, interested in the fact of 17 year olds starting their own businesses.

"Of course, the club Ainsley's, is a very famous hangout spot for youngsters, as there aren't many alcoholic beverages, so they can enjoy with their friends without the consumption of alcohol. There's a danc floor, a small food court, a beautiful lounge, well, anything that can attract the attention of teenagers to people in their twenties." Woods replied.

"Wait, Ainsley's? The place Xavier, Melanie and Vincent always visit?" I asked, remembering their praises of the newly opened club.

"Yes, Mr. Cavanaugh. And the restaurant is called Alaric's, which is also famous for its luxurious interior, as well as good food. Basically, their business is running quite well." He added, making me smile.

Looks like my youngest are quite smart.

"What's their background?" I asked, getting serious.

"Well, seven years ago, after Clarissa's death, the police found traces of sleeping pills in the kids' plates, so they weren't awake when she was murdered. A couple months later, they were adopted by their neighbours, Richard and Delilah." He replied, and I rubbed the back of my neck.

Clarissa Monroe, a beautiful woman l married four years after the death of my first wife.

She gave birth to Xavier an year later, but after a few months, one of our mafia headquarters was attacked, and our investigation led us to Clarissa.

When I confronted her about it, she smiled at me and confessed everything. Turns out she was one of the Spanish Mafia leader's subordinates, sent to infiltrate our mafia.

She was gone, disappeared, a few hours later, leaving an year old Xavier with me and my four kids.

I was devastated. Her information was clean as Clarissa Monroe, but just like her, information about Clarissa Monroe also disappeared.

I never knew she was pregnant that year, but even if I did, I don't know what I would've done. It had been almost 18 years since I heard about her, until now, that I learned about her death and my children.

I sighed, thinking about the Alliance Dinner and the Mafia Ball which was approaching,  as well as the predicted Mafia war, so I shouldn't bring them back and put them in the crossfire, but I had already missed 17 years of their life, and I didn't want to any more.

"What about their adoptive parents?"

" Richard White worked in the finance department of Knight Corp. in LA, and Delilah Martin is a typical stay-at-home mom. Their backgrounds are clean, no suspicious activities in their bank accounts. No visible relationships with any gangs or Mafias. So, what are you going to do, Mr. Cavanaugh?" He asked me as I stood up from my seat.

"I am going to bring back my children, Woods" I replied, walking out of the study, failing to notice his smirk as looked at me walk out.

____________________________

         Samuel Woods stared at Nicholas Cavanaugh's back, and then removed his phone and called his employer.

"Cavanaugh." An elderly voice answered.

Houston Cavanaugh, the elder brother of Howard Cavanaugh, Nicholas Cavanaugh's father, was on the other side of the phone, and also Samuel Woods' employer.

"The work has been done, Mr. Cavanaugh." Woods said , as the elderly man smiled at the young girl sitting right across him.

She raised her cup of tea in her gloved hand, and then crossed her legs.

"Let the games begin, Houston."

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, fellow readers!
Hope you enjoyed!

Vote
Comment
Share!

– Book_vampire2131