Chapter 2

____________________________________________________

Nicholas Cavanaugh
______________________________

"Please don't tell me you are actually doing this, dad." My second son, Ethan's voice echoed inside the car.

"I'm about ten minutes away from their place, boys, so I think I am doing this." I replied, and I heard multiple sighs through the bluetooth connected call.

"But it is so close to the Alliance Dinner and the Mafia Ball, dad, you can't put them in danger." Caden, my fourth son, said.

"It has been almost a month since we've got the news of their existence, so I'm quite sure the other groups might have gotten the news, too. They'll be much safer under our protection." Creed, my third son and Caden's twin, told him.

"Where's your eldest brother?" I asked them.

"Alexander? He's with grandpa in the study. Haven't come out since breakfast." Ethan replied.

Alexander had always been close to my father, Howard Cavanaugh, and dad had decided to pass on th Mafia leader's title to Alexander instead of me, and I was thankful for it, as I knew I wasn't suited to inherit that title.

And honestly, I am proud of my son.

"Xavier?" I asked my fifth son, who had been quiet all this time.

Xavier was the one who progressed the most over the years. He directed his anger towards the right things and the right places, which made him stronger mentally and physically.

Even though he worked towards the path of the underworld, he refused to join the mafia, no one knew why.

"Bring them back, dad. I believe they deserve a chance at an actual family." He replied, and I subconsciously nodded, as I parked the car in front of an ivory coloured, small and cozy looking house.

"I'm here, wish me luck, boys. Talk to you'll later." I said, as they mumbled their goodbyes and hung up.

I took a deep breath as I walked towards the entrance and knocked on the door.

A petite and sweet looking woman opened the door and looked at me with a smile.

"Yes, how may I help you?" She asked me and I rubbed the back of my neck, something I do when I am nervous.

"Mrs. White?" I asked, as she frowned.

"Ms. Martin. But, yes?"

"I'm Nicholas Cavanaugh, the twins' father. We spoke on the phone yesterday?" I said, as a glint of sadness passed through her eyes.

"Of course, Mr. Cavanaugh. Please come in. Unfortunately, there was an emergency at the restaurant, so they had to leave earlier. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, Mr. Cavanaugh." She replied apologetically, and I smiled.

"That won't be a problem, Ms. Martin, I understand. And please, call me Nicholas." I answered.

"Nicholas it is. Would you like to have some tea, Nicholas? I'm sure Reign has left some of her stash in the kitchen." She asked, walking inside as I followed her.

"Maybe some other day, Ms. Martin.  Is their luggage here? I'll keep it in the car. Some other things can be shipped later." I said, as she pointed towards the two suitcases near the couch.

"Of course, there it is, Nicholas. Is there anything else I can help you with?" She asked politely, and I shook my head.

I picked up the suitcases and dragged them towards the door, but stopped midway.

"Is there anything I should know about the twins? I'd just like to know about them from somebody who knows them personally." I asked her, as she looked at me with a thoughtful expression.

"River can sometimes come across as rude and indifferent, so please don't take it to heart if he is unpleasant or disagreeable for the first few days,but he is a good kid, both of them are.
While Reign is the calm one, and there'll always be a small smile on her face. She has a huge tea addiction, and always wears gloves on her hands....."

"Gloves?" I asked, surprised.

She looked at me with a serious expression, and nodded.

"You will always see Reign wearing gloves. Different styles, different colours, but never bare handed. And no matter what, do no remove them, better yet, don't touch them. And the tea? Always keep some nearby, or I can't guarantee your bones will be intact." She replied with a small laugh, and I smiled, but my smile slowly faded as I thought of something I was puzzled about.

"Ms. Martin? How did Clarissa actually die?" I asked cautiously, and her expression turned cold.

"Why do you ask that, Mr. Cavanaugh?"

Back to Mr. Cavanaugh, I see.

"Was the murderer really never found? This excuse is ridiculous, Ms. Martin, I think both of us know that." I mused as she sighed.

"There are some things you are better off without knowing, Mr. Cavanaugh. If you wish for peace in your life, I would advise you not to get involved in matters which hold no connection to yourself, Mr. Cavanaugh.
Sometimes, the less you know, the safer you are. Have a safe journey, Mr. Cavanaugh." She said, as I nodded at her and walked outside.

I never had peace in my life, Ms. Martin.
What are all of you hiding?
_____________________________________________

Minutes after Nicholas Cavanaugh left the White residence, Delilah Martin's phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and smiled.

"Good afternoon, Xavier."

"Has he left, Delilah?"

"Minutes earlier, son. Have you had your lunch yet?" She asked him, and he coughed awkwardly on the other side of the phone.

"I can't hear you, Delilah! Talk to you later!" He said and hung up in a hurry.

Xavier Cavanaugh's smile slowly faded away, and he looked at his family sitting in the living room. Some teasing each other, while trying to figure out how to make a cake on the internet. The older ones looking at them with a helpless smile. It was the type of family one cherished deep down to their bones, and so did Xavier.

"I won't let them get hurt, no matter what." He whispered, as he looked outside the window.

"Let the games begin."
_____________________________________________
_________

Hello, fellow readers!
Hope you enjoyed!

Thoughts?

Vote
Comment
Share!

–Book_vampire2131.