Chapter twenty two.

"You don't understand.
And I can't explain."

—A S T R I D—

A S T R I D

THE CRIME WORLD HAD MANY ups and downs. Everyone knew what the cost was when you enter it. It breeds evil, greed, envy and ignorance. I pitied the people who thought they were invincible.

The higher the place, the steeper the fall.

But the one thing that was worse than the others? Paranoia.

It made you things that you knew was not possible. And in a room full of your loved ones, you look at their hands and wonder if they would stab you when they were near you. It made you look over your shoulder in panic even in 6our brightest times.

"Where's Austin?" I hadn't seen him in the past few hours. And that probably has been the longest I have been away from him in the past few days.

It had been a few days after I was discharged from the hospital, and my throat was still healing. Though being almost healed now, it was still hard to speak without any pain.

Me and 'Pa had been on full bed rest and lockdown until we were able to properly walk without wincing.

The rest was good, it really was. But staring at the same four dark walls started to feel more like forced isolation.

Initially, I sneaked into Austin's room to find his bed completely empty and not a wrinkle on it– it was almost as of he never slept in, in the first place. So... that led to me into Luc's room, kicking him out of his bed while he completed his project.

"Don't you have anything better to do?" He groaned, as if I were the one forcing him to do his work.

"What better than annoy the shit out of you, caro fratello," I muttered with poised sweetness, that we both knew would annoy him further, "But seriously, where's he?"

"Probably out there finding himself a girlfriend?" He didn't bother look at me, as he continued to jot down whatever he searched into his book.

"A girlfriend?"

"He's a hopeless romantic." Luc sighed, looking at me, "And he's proud of it."

Makes sense—

But it was weird that no one has seen Austin in a few hours. He had always informed—