22 | wormwood

1711, Aethiel Palace, Kestramore City

In the end, Eufemia invited Marguerite to her own private chambers, where they sat at an open-air balcony that overlooked the green mountains that surrounded the palace.

             "Lovely, isn't it ?" Eufemia drawled. "When I first saw this place, I instantly fell in love. My husband's castle in Grange is by no means inferior, but there is something so enchanting about the royal palace."

             "Indeed it is. But where are your other ladies-in-waiting, Your Highness? Surely you have more than one to serve you ?" Marguerite asked.

Eufemia glanced at the servant that stood beside her and smiled in disdain. "I don't have ladies-in-waiting. Not yet, at least. I have another maid, Holly, but she's out at town at this moment."

Marguerite cackled in her heart. Of course, no one would want to serve the lowborn Miss Dubois, princess consort or not.

               "Will you not serve me tea, Your Highness ?" Marguerite said gently, and Eufemia let out an embarrassed laugh.

               "Yes, of course. Mary, bring tea and snacks for the two of us," she ordered, flustered.

As Mary disappeared into the small kitchen of the royal chamber, Marguerite turned towards Eufemia and decided to pry even more.

                "How long have you been married to Prince John? No public announcements were made, so I never even knew that Prince John was married," she questioned brashly.

Eufemia lowered her face, and softly she said, "We were married in a secret wedding one year ago, and now he finally decided to present me to the King and Queen, in hopes that our marriage would be legitimised."

               "So you aren't a princess consort," Marguerite chuckled. "You are a mistress."

               "Do not be rude, Marguerite!" Eufemia screeched, abruptly standing up and slamming her hands against the wooden table. "I might not be officially recognised as a royal now, but in five months, whether you like it or not, I will be !"

Marguerite was struck dumb for a moment, then she realised the meaning behind Eufemia's words. "You are carrying his child, aren't you? And he wants to make you his official consort so that the child would not be born as a bastard."

Eufemia abhorred Marguerite's merciless words, but she had hit the nail on the head. And whether she liked it or not, she knew that she had no allies here in this glittering court.

On the outside, the Aethiel Palace seemed like a place full of festivities and endless parties, but now that she has stepped inside its wall did she finally realise how lonely it was.

The Queen treated her like a wanton woman, and the Princess outright ignored her existence. In their eyes, she was a mere speck of dust, and nothing more.