Chapter 86

Chancellor Verus was certain of one thing—something had changed between the royal couple during the past month.

‘Should I expect the worst case scenario?’ He thought to himself.

The chancellor had faith that the king was a smart man, rational and logical in thinking. But he was only a man, despite being a ruler. They were bound to change at some point; no one would be able to resist the charms a woman has.

And the queen was indeed a beauty beyond compare.

Even three years ago, after their marriage, many men still longed to have the queen. She had been the talk of the town for a long time. And Verus wasn’t blind. He acknowledged her beauty, he wouldn’t contest that. So it wouldn’t be entirely out of the realm of possibility the king would fall in love with her.

‘I need to gain an audience with the former General,’ Verus thought worriedly, “Surely Baroness Marianne would have noticed these changes.” He mused to himself.

It had taken only a moment of staring at the medicine, but eventually, Eugene finally took the digestant that Marianne had given her and popped it to her mouth.

‘I’ll get hungry tonight if I were to digest these foods quickly.’ She thought as she takes it and downs it with water. When she’s done, Marianne had suggested taking a short stroll around as the medicine took its time to do its work.

“Your Majesty, why don’t you walk outside for a few minutes?” Marianne said, “The pain will only be doubled in your sleep if the indigestion takes a severe turn.” she explained, and Eugene nodded at her thankfully before doing just that.

Unfortunately, wherever Eugene went, so did the servants.

‘Ugh, I’m definitely never faking another stomachache again.’ she complained to herself as she noticed this.

She finally understood why Jin never left her study. It was there she could find some peace and quiet. It was where she could be alone.

‘I hadn’t anticipated I’d come to understand Jin this much.’ she thought in amusement, before remembering that while Jin was in the study, she’d never allowed anyone to disturb her. ‘Who could even confirm she was inside?’ Eugene thought with a frown.

The overall walk wasn’t horrible, quite pleasant in fact.

The darkened corridors she had walked through seemed quite a different world at night, so different in the morning in all its bright glory. There was some light, but it was so high up, the corridor was still blanketed by shadows.

‘If Jin really did leave the palace regularly, I need to think long and hard from the very beginning.’ she thought whilst she admired the long pillars on the corridors. But despite her admiring the view, her thoughts only consisted of Jin Anika.

‘If Jin did have a secret, I’m certain it wouldn’t be housed within the palace walls.’

She remembered in her version of when Jin went missing; the people had only assumed that Jin had been involved in some horrible accident. And as quickly as the news spread, so did it die out, and Jin was forgotten. No one even questioned why she had disappeared, no one particularly cared.

Not to mention the General, Sarah, was a meticulous person. She definitely would’ve found Jin’s secret passage had she disappeared despite the size and vastness of the palace. It was only right to have come to this conclusion.

‘Ah,’ she paused, ‘There was the man, the one in my visions.’

His crimson eyes flashed through the back of her mind.