003

nova — peter parker

chapter three: a change in heart

。☆✼★━━━━━━━━━★✼☆。

"Cellular cohesion will take a few hours," stated Helen Cho. "But, we can initiate the consciousness stream."

     Arabella quirked a suspicious eyebrow at the doctor, who was messing around with wires in Ultron's head. How did Ultron convince her to switch sides so quickly if Cho worked with Stark? The young Maximoff was beginning to question Ultron's plan.

     "We're uploading your cerebral matrix . . . now," Dr. Cho pressed a few buttons.

     "I can read him," Wanda blinked. "He's dreaming."

     "I wouldn't call it dreams. It's Ultron's base consciousness," corrected Helen. "Informational noise. Soon —"

     "How soon?" Ultron cut off. "I'm not being pushy."

     "We're imprinting a physical brain. There are no shortcuts. Even if your magic gem . . ."

     The scientist's words cut out as Wanda placed her hands on the box containing Cho's creation and clamped her eyes shut. Tilting her head, the teen began to search through its mind.

     She wished she hadn't. The sight of mass destruction to Earth caused the girl to yelp and hurriedly remove her hands from the platform.

     "Wanda!" Arabella widened her eyes. As the girl in question panted, Ultron concernedly stood from his seat.

     Pietro, unbeknownst to what she saw, soothed his twin.

     "How could you?" Wanda shook her head, questioning the robot, whom she began to doubt as well.

     "How could I what?"

     "You said we would destroy the Avengers, make a better world —"

     "It will be better," Ultron chastised.

     "When everyone is dead?"

     Arabella let out a silent gasp.

     "That is not . . . The human race will have every opportunity to improve."

     "What if they don't?" Arabella tilted her head.

     "Ask Noah."

     Wanda grasped her sister's hand. "You are a madman."

     "There were more than a dozen extinction-level events before even the dinosaurs got theirs. When the Earth starts to settle, God throws a stone at it. And, believe me, he's winding up. We have to evolve. There's no room for the weak.