Chapter 40

Liam's POV

I pushed myself away from Ryder and swallowed nervously as I stood straight. My heart hammered against my chest and my hands felt cold.

"Mom. Dad." I nodded at them with a tight smile and I felt Ryder's hand on my back, supporting me.

"Eli, What was that?" Dad asked with a tone filled with disbelief and horror.

I forced myself to sound strong, even though I hated what I heard in his voice.

"Can we talk for a moment? Please?" I looked at Mom, telling her to back me up. She was just as shocked even though she already knew that I liked men.

She removed the hand that was covering her mouth and touched Dad's arm. He looked at her and the frown on his face disappeared.

"Let's go inside." After I invited them, Ryder opened the door for us and stared at me with concern. I smiled and told him that it was okay.

After all of us sat at the couch, I inhaled a deep breath before I began.

"I'm gay, Dad. And Ryder is my lover." After the words left my lips, Dad paled and I couldn't afford to look at him as I clenched my fists in my lap.

The silence stretched out as I held my tears at bay, and a strong hand covered mine, willing me to calm.

"You should talk to him privately." Mom broke the silence and spoke to Dad. She gave a smile and looked back and forth between us.

"He already told me he liked men, but I didn't know that he already had someone." She landed her gaze on Ryder, who sat beside me. I saw fear and uncertainty in her eyes, but I also saw warmth.

"I need some fresh air." Dad exhaled a harsh breath and stood up from his seat to go to the balcony.

A tear slid down my face and I immediately wiped it with my hands. Ryder caught my wrist and the action made me turn towards him.

"No matter the outcome, I'll be here to hold you in my arms." I nodded and chewed on my lip when I saw his eyes held truth and sincerity in them.

"Go, son. Talk to your father." Mom encouraged me to go and I asked her the words I feared was to come true.

"What if...What if he doesn't accept me?" I swallowed the lump forming in my throat and looked at her with glassy eyes.

She held out a hand and gestured me to come closer, so I stood and went to her.

"Only a selfish and unloving parent would do that. And your father is not one of them, Liam." She cooed and kissed my forehead before telling me to go.

I followed Dad into the balcony and saw him rigid as he gripped the railings. I pinched my lips tight before joining him.

"I-..." He spoke and I saw that he was at loss for words. A shuddering breath escaped his lips before his shoulders slumped.

"I accept you no matter what you are, Eli. You need to know that." I was sure that all my emotions were visible on my face because he smiled and looked at me like I didn't trust him enough to say that.

"But I don't think he's right for you."

The smile left my face and I froze at what he said. He must've felt the shift of my expression because he turned serious.

"He's a vampire, Liam. You may love him, but us humans don't belong in their world." He stated with a firm voice and I started to shake my head, telling him that he was wrong.

"They're fueled by their hunger, and thirst for blood. As long as you're with him, you put yourself in danger." He grabbed me by the shoulders to look me in the eye.