Chapter 23: The Fall of A Queen

America Singer was proclaimed dead at four fifty-three pm.

She died during the surgery, because the doctors say she was reported in too late.

I stand outside of the hospital wing, as do the other ten girls. We were told a little after the royal family, and were also told to stay where we were.

I couldn't help but look over at Maxon. His blond hair was greying but his eyes were dull where they were once bright. He kept staring at the far wall while Queen Hero attempted at talking to him.

Harlan was talking to Forrest in depth off to the side. I was surprised to see his reaction. I never knew what it was like to lose a family member, or someone close to me. So I also wasn't sure how to handle this situation. The loss that is being endured in this selection was not in my plans.

Forrest looked lost. I've never seen him look that way before, because he always looked like he knew what he was doing.
Apparently not.

I'm guessing Forrest was fed up with whatever Harlan was saying, because he shoved Harlan out of the way and stormed down the hall.

After everything that happened between us, you would think I would be smart enough to leave him be. But something inside me made me want to follow, or at least comfort him.

I glanced over at Victoria who was busy talking to King Everette. The rest of the girls were either crying or nervously staring down at their hands.

I slipped away from the group and the chaos that followed the death of a queen and went to go follow Forrest.

Forrest felt up the walls and I myself was a little uncomfortable. What the hell was he doing?

"I'm looking for a safe room." He grunts like he read my mind. "I know you're there Cordelia, those heels aren't exactly quiet."

I clear my throat and slowly walk over to him. "You do this often?"

He doesn't answer as the sound of a click rattled the silence.

"Ah," Forrest mumbled as he begins to slide into the room. "Go find your boy toy, Cordelia."

Before he can close it I wiggle my way through.

The door shuts and I'm swallowed by darkness. There is a shuffle of feet before a different click fills the silence of the room and a small light shine through the room.

A two bunker bed, supply cabinet, two chairs, and toilet was all that littered the room.

"Cordelia, get out." Forrest says angrily. The light illuminating his face made him seem both angelic and frightening.

"No." I say defiantly. "Do you even know how to get out of here?" I ask and cross my arms.

Forrest breathes heavily and runs a shaking hand through his hair. "Of course I do, I have the key. I'm not an idiot."

"You're acting like one." I point out and Forrest glares at me.

"My grandma just died."

"I know." I say a little softer. "So why are you in here, then? How does this help?"

He ignored me and turns his back. "You weren't supposed to follow me, and you sure as hell are not supposed to be in here with me."

I uncross my arms and play with my fingers, but I still look at him even though his back is to me.

"Forrest-"

"If you say you were worried about me, I will ignore you and I will do what I wanted to do."