Chapter 18

I was being childish. And even I knew it.

    Ditching my first class without getting into trouble came off as difficult at first thought, since the pass I had for the library was from two years ago – but the aged librarian didn't think to check it, and didn't think to make sure if I was hiding out in the aisles.

    Since Jesse knew I was still in school, by hiding, I basically showed him that I was letting him win – whatever it was that he was trying to prove. For obvious reasons, I skipped class because I couldn't possibly face him after he built up the audacity to call me jealous. He had a lot of nerve, I give him that much.

    When the bell rang, I ran out of the room before the younger librarian could question me – which was easy, since I was sitting next to the second door that led straight to the hallway.

    That wasn't my only 'acting out' scene though, but after back talking to a teacher and being sent outside to wait until the class ended – I knew I was taking it too far. I just couldn't help it – the thought of what Jesse conjured up made me snappy, but I admit, using sarcasm on a teacher wasn't wise. Or the least bit of funny when she threatened me with a write up.

    On the track during gym, I felt my blood pressure rise. Even from across the entire field, Jesse managed to shoot me challenging stares. I decided the best course of action was to just ignore him, even if it meant that in doing that it would only make him more obliged to pick on me later.

    But even then, what could he possibly do?

    Afterwards, I easily just ran out of the main gym doors when the guys came out of the locker room – not giving Jesse so much as a chance to even see me.

    All through my last class, I tried to avoid the questioning glances I was receiving from Katrina. Though, when the whole class erupted with noise, something sparked.

        "So..." she started. "Does your back hurt?"

    I glanced at her with narrow eyes. "What're you talking about?"

    She rolled her eyes, the only expression she used when she was close to being madly annoyed. "I don't know, I mean, Jesse and you are getting really serious – and as your best friend, you're neglecting to talk."

        "About what? There's nothing to say."

        "Well, I asked if your back hurt." My eyes squinted, but I was a little more relieved that the students around the room weren't paying attention to us. "Did Jesse hit you or did he attempt at rough play?"

        "I really don't want to talk about it."

        "So, you're saying that you like him?"

    I turned towards the window. "I don't want to talk about it."

    I didn't know if it were my tone, or the way my face looked, or even that I repeated myself – but she didn't pester me after I said that. But I had to side with her, since I was being secretive. Though, none of that meant I had to come out and talk, because Jesse wasn't someone I was glad to be conversing with.

    When the bell rang, we both went separate ways – me going towards my locker and her going to the back of the school. I felt bad for a second, but then let it go. If she knew about this morning, then telling her I absolutely hated him wouldn't serve her insight any justice.

    But, in a split second, I debated on running after her once I saw a dark silhouette against my locker. Once he looked up, I deliberated on getting the fire extinguisher from the wall and wailing on him.