29.) There's A Possibility

Cal

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here

"End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path. One that we all must take."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of The King

"So..." Tris said breaking the silence as we sat at Evelyn's dinner table. "Nobody is going to talk?" She questioned, I glanced at Four who was staring at his mother and I looked back at Tris.

"Why did you abandon your son with an abuser?" I asked to Evelyn which captured everyone off guard. "You must be Helios' daughter, I can see the similarities on your face." Evelyn spoke then looked at me, so I looked back at her. "Your father was one of the people who helped me escape from Marcus." She added and I nodded. "I feel like telling you this might make you see things differently." She said which made me raise a brow.

A sigh escaped her lips and she fidgets with her fingers as she built up the courage to inform me about something.

"Jeanine Matthews is not your mother."

My heart immediately dropped to my stomach and I could feel them all staring at me.

"What?" I questioned a bit breathless.

"Jeanine, she realized your father had an affair with a woman from Abnegation. Thalassa Joy." She answered and I shook my head. "No...You're lying." I said in disbelief then stood up abruptly. "We all knew that Jeanine was abusive towards your father. And when your mother figured out that another woman was carrying his child, she wanted her head." Evelyn responded standing up as well which made Tris and Four stand up. "What did you do to her?" I questioned and she took in a breath.

"Your mother made a deal with Jeanine at one of the broken buildings. She promised Jeanine that if she kept you and provided you with the best things that Erudite could offer, she would disappear." She explained.

I could only imagine the pain my real mother had to put herself through in order to survive.

"After your birth, we never heard from your mother again." She finished off then sat down and I glanced at Four as I remembered the message my father had left. "That's why my father went over the wall." I pointed out and Evelyn nodded, so I take in a calming breath. "Why are you telling me this?" I asked confused by what she wanted from me exactly.

"I want you to know that in accepting an alliance with me, I will help you go over the wall and look for your father." She answered with a small smirk. "Don't listen to her." Four said and I turned to look at him.