Chapter 1

Madelaina :

You know that feeling?

The feeling where your having a really good dream?

You have no idea what it's about but you know that it's good.

But then you get woken up and your filled with an undeniable, irrevocable rage towards the person who woke you?

Well that's how I feel right now.

"Della," a small hand on my shoulder shakes me fully awake.

"What," I mumble.

"Della, we're here."

I open my eyes to see that we have arrived at the time of twilight. The sky a stunning mix of vibrant purples and angry pinks and reds. The slim remains of a blazing sunset just beneath them.

I rub the sleep out of my eyes as I slowly sit up in the back seat next to my younger sister.

I turn to find her face pressed against the dim window of our black limo.

I move next to her to see what she's looking at.

Suddenly, that rage I had been holding onto a moment before simmered down into a feeling of wonder.

Wow.

This was at least five times bigger than our old home.

And that was saying something.

A magnificent estate.

Built with brown stone, guarded by winding stairwells and twisting walk ways, glittered with glowing lanterns and surrounding a seven foot fountain, stood our new home.

It's beautiful.

Me and my sister look at each other, stupid smiles on our faces.

"We're gonna be like princesses, Della."

"I know," I giggled.

We turn our gazes back to the castle-like building.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

We jump back and turn to find our mother on the other side of the opposite window, a matching grin on her face.

She motions for us to come out.

We both step out of the limo and meet her at the front door. Our father following suit.

"Do you like it?" he asks. A hopeful look in his eyes.

We both eagerly nod our heads, still hanging onto those smiles.

"Good. I'm glad," he smiles back. "And I know, I know. You girls would love to explore every inch of this house now but I'm afraid I think it's a bit late."

"But..." my sister starts.

"No, no no no. Your father's right. Time for bed," my mother says.

My sister huffs in return. "Fine."

"Good girl. Come on, let's go find your new room, hm?" My mother holds her hand out to my sister.

Her face instantly brightens and she rushes inside ahead of my mother, who follows her shaking her head with a smile on her face.

My father looks at me and raises his brows. "You too."

I roll my eyes before kissing him of the cheek and stepping inside. "Notte, papa."

I shut the door before turning around.

My draw drops.

The outside of the house is nothing compared to the inside.

Tall ceilings and polished marble floors echo with watch footstep.

A grand staircase stands before me. Two separate ones at the bottom, curving around to meet at the top.

A round table in between the two. Laid with an arrangement of wine coloured roses.

Beyond that opening, an archway leading to who knows where.

I want to find out.

But not right now.

I am physically tired and mentally exhausted.

But tomorrow...

Tomorrow I will explore this whole place. I will seek out every hidden room and passage.

Tomorrow...I will find my sanctuary.