51 Numb

"Blue. Fucking blue." I look at his stranger eyes, wanting to be anywhere but here.

I'm done.

I can't.

Please.

"No." He clenches his jaw, eyes hard. "No."

I step past him and push the button to the ground level, making the elevator go down. Lucas doesn't take his eyes off of me. I don't have the energy to look at him. I stand in front of the doors, waiting for them to open.

"Listen to me. When we first kissed..." He comes beside me. "You asked me to forget about it. After everything — taking you to the restaurant, meeting your dad — you told me to forget it, all because of this God damn promotion."

Ah, so it's my fault.

How did I not see.

"So when Grant told me, the day he told you to go rest." Lucas tries to get my attention. "I knew that we'd never have a shot! I'd go back to being your enemy without a blink—"

The doors open and I step out, walk straight to the lobby doors to the parking lot.

"I told him that I'd train you. I told him I don't want it. He threw what he's done for me at my face! Said I'm letting my feelings decide the right from wrong." He follows after me, voice lower so strangers don't hear. Aw, so caring.

"That's why I didn't want anything to happen." He gets more impatient. "But you had to go and put on a tiny dress and tell me you'll use a fucking safe word with a guy you talked to for only two minutes! How was I suppose to let you go?"

"That's so romantic."

He scoffs. "Fuck. You don't get it. You seriously don't. I was going to wait. But things just happened! I didn't plan it! I didn't plan to walk into that flower field and get stung."

"So it's the bee's fault? That bastard."

I search for my car, keys in my hands.

"I had you meet my best friends, so you'd know I wasn't trying to just get in your pants. You met Shushan too. You think that was just a game?"

"I don't know, you tell me. You said everything is a game." I look at him nonchalantly. "Remember, in the conference room?"

"Not this! Not us! I was talking about work!"

"Yeah, and you played the game of not telling me really well." I unlock my car and open the door. "I guess that's why I didn't get promoted, I've never cared about those bullshit tactics. I'd just tell you, Lucas." I sit inside and put my seatbelt on. "I'd tell you because that's the respectful thing to do."

"Yeah?" He bends down to my eye level. "Just like you drew a contract to keep your distance a day after I took you to my dad's restaurant?"

"Oh..." I smile half-heartedly. "Which one? The one I threw myself against after you ignored me for a whole week, even though I hadn't done anything?"

Pain crosses his face and my chest constricts. I take the flower accessory off and look at it.

"I'm sorry..." Lucas says quietly. "I didn't mean to... I didn't mean to hurt you."

"You didn't." I reach my hand towards his hair, clipping the accessory there while he stares at me dumbfounded. "Congratulations, Vice President."

"Don't do this. Don't."

"I quit, Lucas. I'd rather die than work for you."

I press on the gas pedal and drive off.

~