Heartbreak

"Colin, you have to take a breath... and maybe stand still for a moment." Abigail suggested lightly. 

He stopped pacing around the grand parlor of Hastings House. She, Colin and Daphne were waiting for Miss Thompson to arrive. Truthfully, Abigail wasn't sure why she was there, but Colin had asked, and she'd do anything for him at the moment.

----

Abigail walked through the foyer of the Bridgerton house that morning, the foyer she had grown rather fond of, and made her way towards the dining room. She caught sight of Colin stepping off the stairs and called his name, effectively catching his attention. Once next to him, she lowered her volume, not quite sure how to approach the subject.

"Look, um, we told your mother last night, about Anthony and I, and she asked that we tell the family this morning." She sighed. "If you don't wish to come in right now, I completely understand."

Colin gave her a sad smile.

"You are perhaps the only person who's stopped to consider my point of view in all this. Anthony's lucky. Honest to God, I think you're too good for him." She laughed at this and he paused for a moment before saying, "I am happy for you, Abby, I just—"

"I know. It's perfectly alright."

He began to walk away from the dining room, and she moved towards it, but then his voice stopped her, and she turned around.

"Abigail, I am going to Hastings House today. Daphne has managed for me to have a chaperoned conversation with Marina. And well, I don't know if you have plans but Daphne just doesn't understand and..." he trailed off.

"I'll be there, if you'd like me to."

He looked relieved and continued to walk away. Finally, she turned and successfully walked into the dining room.

"Ah, to what do we owe this surprise?" Benedict asked upon her entrance.

"Abby! Are you joining us for breakfast?" Hyacinth piped up in an excited tone.

Before she could reply, a voice, and a very handsome one at that, spoke from behind her.

"She isn't the only one." Sure enough, Anthony came but next to her.

"Anthony!" This time, the exclamation came from Gregory.

"Alright... what is happening here?" Eloise asked, a tone of suspicion in her voice.

The couple at the head of the table exchanged glances, Anthony not bothering to hide his smile. The smile that was, admittedly, infectious.

"Perhaps we should wait for your mother—" Abigail began.

"No need, I'm just here." Violet entered, smiling.

"What is going on?" Eloise repeated the question, her tone becoming impatient.

Abigail looked up towards Anthony.

"It is either you or me." She said in a low tone.

He smirked and slipped his arm around her waist.

"Everyone, I have asked Abigail for her hand in marriage, and for some outlandish reason she has accepted."

Unlike the reaction they had experienced the previous night, almost the second the words had left Anthony's mouth everyone in the dining room stood and cheered. Hugging and congratulations began immediately.