The Waiting Ritual

When Bela and Chris arrived there was no sign of Miranda.

She saw Karl, kneeled beside Ethan, who was bleeding from his chest, similar to Bela earlier that day.

She swarmed to him and Karl seemed to be trying to nudge Ethan awake.

He was shouting at him to wake up, but then she saw his heart discarded on the ground. If Miranda had not taken hers, then she was sure Miranda would have taken his heart instead.

Karl's army was destroyed, and despite the explosion, the mold surrounding the factory did not even budge away.

Karl was angry that the army was blown up but he understood that the mold taking over the factory needed to atleast be neutralized.

But it didn't work.

The mold roots had not even moved a bit, save for the holes now on their sides. But they only regenerated.

The mold would only fix itself if its host is still alive.

...

Bela swarmed to Karl's side and kneeled with him.

She saw Karl gang his head and swear at Miranda.

She couldn't blame him. She knows how that feels.

She sighs as she sat down instead.

She saw more blood pool around Ethan's body, but his huge wound was also starting to heal now.

She looked behind her and noticed that it was already sunset.

The sun was beautiful while it went down. But nothing was beautiful now that Ethan was unconscious and on the edge of a cliff, on the path to death.

She stared at Ethan as the wound started closing.

She heard Chris finally reaching their destination.

"What..." he paused as he saw Ethan's body.

He approached the three of them slowly as he bent down, took off his glove and touched Ethan's neck.

It was cold.

He sighed as he put his glove back on.

Bela swarmed back to her feet but Karl didn't move to change his uncomfortable position.

The blood on the ground around Ethan's body was evident even from afar.

Bela huffed as she swarmed down and grabbed Ethan's body in her swarm.

The blood dripping from his body was coating her flies, but that didn't matter. Not now. And it's not like her clothes would also get stained after she reverts back, after all.

Besides that, she swarms up high again and brings Ethan's body with her.

Chris and Karl watched as Karl finally stood to his feet.

Karl used his metal to float as he commanded his remaining lycans to gather somewhere else, far from the now-destroyed factory.

Chris hid the gun in his coat as he walked away to somewhere else, supposedly to his remaining soldier.

Bela made sure to bring Ethan and the flask he had to Duke.

He was the only being that can help the man heal.

-----

After awhile, Bela finally saw The Duke's carriage.

Unsurprisingly by now, it was heading to where they were.