Chapter 102

When she lowered her gaze in line with his chest, Eugene couldn’t see what type of expression he was making with her statement. She knew she was likely risking offending the king, however, no matter what she thought of, she couldn’t bring herself to do it with him tonight.

“I’m sorry,” she apologized. There was a tense silence for a moment, before it was finally broken.

“Eugene,” he called out to her. There was no inflection in his voice, no way of knowing what he was thinking about, so Eugene finally looked up at him.

He was composed. But she knew it was very difficult to know how he felt by just his outward appearance. He wasn’t the type that was easy to read.

“It’s not something you should apologize for. I don’t want to force you into doing anything.”

“But it’s my duty,” she told him and Kasser’s eyes bore into her frame, watching her in silence before he chose to answer.

“It should be fine as long as you’re not avoiding me,” he explained, and Eugene gave him a terse nod.

“Alright.”

After that, there was a tense moment of silence. And despite that there were no exchange of harsh words, or any word at all, the both of them could feel the distance between them split further apart.

“Alright, then…” Kasser’s words stuck in his throat. He wanted to bid her good night, to rest well, but the words wouldn’t come out, nor did his feet move from his spot. For the past few days, every night, he felt his heart pounding with excitement for their time together, not just to satisfy his sexual urges.

He could barely recall any time from his youth where he had roomed with another soul. Ever since he was a young boy, he could only recall falling asleep alone, and waking up alone. And in the early stages of their marriage, he remembered he barely slept a wink each time he slept with the queen.

For three years, he’d spend one night with the queen every month. And while she slept soundly on the other side of the bed, he could do nothing more than just tossing and turning, staring at the queen’s back until morning came.

Until not too long ago this was true.

But now, there were barely any days where he didn’t have a good night’s sleep. And despite the fact he hadn’t changed the amount of sleep he got every night, every morning he felt as light as a feather. He found it even more relaxing to sleep when having someone by his side at night.

“Eugene.” he finally broke the silence as she perked up at him calling her name.

“Yes?”

“Would you like some time alone?”

“No,” Eugene said resolutely as she quickly shook her head. If he were to leave her room like at a time like this, the servants would undoubtedly talk. She’s familiar with palace gossip. Moreover, she didn’t want to kick him out, and risk hurting his pride.

“The bed’s large enough,” she added, gesturing to her bed, “Unless…” she paused, feeling she overstepped her bounds, “You were offended and want to return to your room?” she asked with uncertainty. Kasser chuckled at her.

There was nothing special with the way she said it. It wasn’t elegant, nor frivolous, but from time to time, there was something different with the way she talked, oftentimes he even found it humorous and unique.

“Thank you for offering me one side of your bed, My Queen,” he teased her, and she flushed for a moment, before he gave her a genuine smile.

“You’re very welcome, Your Highness.”