CHAPTER VIII

"Wake up! Kate! Wake up! You're going to be late!"

Someone kept pulling the blanket, I was covering myself with while trying to sleep. Gosh, just why won't dad let me sleep some more? He is always waking me up two hours before the actual time saying I'm late.

"ugh....let me sleep....."

I pull my blanket tightly to cover my face as if this would block his booming voice from reaching me.

"Katherine! I am serious! Get up! Don't you want to go to school?"

"No."

I bluntly replied making him flustered a bit before he once more starts bellowing,

"Katherine! Get up! I don't want you to be late."

"It's fine. I'll just.....not go."

I mumbled in a sleepy tone before yawning. I had still not opened my eyes but the sudden silence from the other side made me feel scared. Why isn't dad trying to wake me up anymore? He isn't the type to let things go. Did he just give up and left? I was still wondering when I felt someone pick up the desk chair next to my bed and footsteps approaching me. Oh shit! Looks like I am late. Before dad could say anything, I sprang out of bed and stood straight in front of the man who was holding a chair over his head. I knew he wasn't going to hit me. But when dad threatens like this, it means it's serious. He glared at me like I did the right thing for getting up or else I was going to be in deep trouble. He was in his lecture mood and I knew he was about to start scolding me. But I am also his daughter. I know exactly what to do to get out of this situation. It is to call the only person in the world whom dad listens to.

"Mom!"

I immediately yelled, making dad flinch and instantly put down the chair.

"Dad is trying to hurt your daughter!"

My mother is a peaceful person which is in contrast to my father who is a hot-tempered man. It's nevertheless a miracle to me how these two got married considering their opposite personalities. She was on the dining table chair, sipping her daily dose of coffee outside my room and since my room's door was open thanks to dad, I could see her which is why I looked at her when I complained.

She didn't even bother to look at me and politely replied,

"But Alex is right in front of me."

She was referring to my elder sister known as Alexandra who was sitting in front of her, eating breakfast. I'm pretty sure mom is being nonserious about this since all of this has become part of our daily routine. It's always this rowdy here so she has become used to it by now.

"I meant me! Katherine! Your other daughter!"

"Stop asking your mother for help and go get changed! I'll reheat your breakfast for you."

Hearing my dad say that, I reflexively glanced at the hanging clock and noticed that I was getting late. This made me rush to the bathroom to get ready.

When I finished changing and entered the dining where everyone else was already sitting, I again confirmed the time and noticed I was getting even delayed than before.

"Oh shit. I'm late."

I muttered after which my mother calmly added,

"Don't curse."

"This wouldn't have happened if you wouldn't have played games till late at night."

Dad remarked while handing me my breakfast, which contained crispy fried bacon strips and a sunny side egg.