45- Friends

*Updates are changing to Wednesday and Saturday*

"Ana, we should do something fun today," Renée suggests with a chirpy grin and Mia is nodding vigorously beside her as I continue to slowly chew my bite of pancakes.

"Fun?" I wonder with raised eyebrows. "Like what? Jenga?"

"I don't know, we'll think of something," Mia says. "But you've been a little mopey ever since Monday. Maybe we can have a movie night or like, a game night or something."

"Yeah, I mean we get it. Everything that's happened with Niles is pretty bumming but you gotta pick yourself up and let's just get your mind off of it," Renée tells me before taking a big bite of her toast.

"I'm not that bummed," I tell her with a shake of my head. "It's only been a few days but I'll get over it. But sure, a game night sounds fun, let's do that."

"Good," She chirps. "Anyway, why did Dr. Lombardi make you call things off with Niles? That was kind of random of her, don't you think?"

"Not random at all. Remember what I'd told you on Sunday?" I ask them rhetorically and then they nod with mouths full of breakfast food. "Well, that girl, Shayla, she overheard me telling you guys that and she ratted me out."

"That bitch!" Renée shrieks way too loudly, causing many people sitting around us to glance over at us with strange expressions on their faces, which is kind of comical and both Mia and I laugh a little bit- me, more than Mia. Renée glances around at the strange stares as well but they don't seem to bother her at all. "I knew that girl was annoying as hell but I didn't think that she'd do something so terrible."

"Yeah," I sigh, poking my syrup-soaked pancakes a little bit. "It's fine though, I guess. It's not like we have to cut off all contact."

"That's still so awful," Mia says. "I've really never liked that girl. She's always looking down her nose at everybody else. She wants people to believe that she's just the perfect little patient."

Renée takes a gulp of her orange juice as if she's angrily chugging some alcoholic beverage, which is a little bit amusing because she looks like she thinks that she's going to convert her orange juice to whiskey just with her pure hatred for Shayla. "Seriously, do you know what she did when Johnny rejected her? She claimed that he attacked her in the shower. She's even more insane than anybody here. She needs to be in solitary or something, she's seriously psychotic."

"But boys and girls don't even share showers," I say on confusion. "How is that even a plausible accusation?"

"It wasn't, which is why he was found innocent but just the fact that she even tried that just shows you how unstable she is- even for us," Mia adds. "If we weren't locked up in here and threatened with solitary, I swear, we'd find some way to get her back."

"Well, we are stuck in here so don't do anything stupid," I tell them both quickly. "It's not like she lied- I did break Dr. Lombardi's rules, so I technically do deserve this but it just sucks. Anyway, you guys don't need to get in trouble just because of me."

"Of course, we won't do anything," Mia assures me and Renée nods in agreement. "But why'd your doctor believe Shayla over you? Wouldn't it just be her word against yours anyway?"

"I didn't deny anything," I sigh. "When Dr. Lombardi confirmed that Shayla had turned me in, I didn't lie about it. I could have but I'm just tired of lying. I've been lying for three whole years to everybody around me and if I lied I could be closer to Niles but that would be on my shoulders every time I talk to Dr. Lombardi, which is every day and I didn't want to deal with that."

"Well that's very noble of you," Renée sighs. "But I respect that. Way to go, Ana."

"Yeah, I'm a freaking saint," I admit sarcastically. "But let's talk about something else right now."