When Nightmares Begin

After the shower disaster, Bet-khar placed Leanne on a makeshift bed he arranged next to his own. Despite being on the floor, the human looked comfortable wrapped in soft animal fur. She was somewhat bathed - if the earlier episode counted - she was fed and warm. Bet-khar sighed and left the room. He also needed a shower and a good night sleep.

He stepped into the shower stall, turned on the switch and welcomed the hot water massaging his back and muscles. As the water pressure eased away some of his tension, Bet-khar began to wonder once again, "Can she survive on my planet? She doesn't know my culture, my food... she can't even be trusted to bathe without hurting herself".

The animals on his planet were much larger than earth animals, and the wild birds could easily snatch her away. The human will need to be accompanied by a Yautja at all times. Or at least until Bet-khar knew she wouldn't die doing something as simple as eating or bathing.

After a long shower Bet-khar left the cleansing unit feeling a little more relaxed. His ship's system was programmed to automatically dim the lights around his sleeping cycle, but he could perfectly see in the dark. He noticed the human fast sleep on the floor, her faint breathing, the  sound of engine running, the emptiness of space... Everything seemed peaceful and in place. Bet-khar finished drying off and headed to bed, clean and naked as always. He closed his eyes and immediately fell asleep.

A strange sound woke him up sometime later. At first Bet-khar couldn't pinpoint the source. He sat up, alarmed, and saw the human wide awake hugging her knees up to her chest. She was whimpering very quietly, as if not to wake him up. Since she possessed no night vision, she didn't notice Bet-khar glaring at her. Despite her efforts to keep it quiet, he was now fully awake and annoyed.

"What is it this time human?" She squealed at the sound of his gruff voice but didn't say a word. The whimper stopped, but Bet-khar noticed her body still trembling. "Are you cold", he asked impatiently. She didn't reply. "Why you are not sleeping", he insisted. Leanne felt a lump on her throat that she couldn't swallow. In a barely audible voice she said "I had a nightmare... the creature you showed me... it hunted us."

"Human, the creature is dead. You have nothing to fear. Go back to sleep now!"

"I can't. I'm too afraid!"

Bet-khar let out a tired sigh.

Leanne continued, "I'm afraid of meeting your brothers... what if they decide to kill me?"

"My kind only kills worthy creatures. Our prey must fill certain criteria", he said in a matter-of-fact way.

"What do you mean?"

"A worthy pray can defend itself or be able to kill us, and has to be of age (killing youngling or elderly is considered highly dishonorable)."

Leanne squinted, trying to see Bet-khar's face in the dark room. With a voice command he turned on the lights so that she could face him. "What I am trying to say is: you are not a worthy kill. No Yautja would want to end your existence. It would only bring shame and bad luck", he explained nonchalantly.

Leanne glared at him, "Did you just call me unworthy?"

"Weak and unworthy prey, yes. Now go back to sleep."

"Excuse me, that's very insulting you know..."

"I will turn off the lights human, go back to sleep!"

Her anger quickly deflated, "Can you leave the lights on just for tonight?"

Bet-khar growled in frustration, "I can't sleep with the lights on, it's too bright!"

"Can I sleep with you then? Please?" Leanne begged.

Bet-khar glared back at human with a mixed expression - something between confusion and disgust. 

"You want to sleep in my bed?"

"Just tonight. I promise I will be quiet."

Bet-khar cursed a few times in his native language but moved over to make space for her in his bed. "I can't believe this", he muttered, "Come before I change my mind". He lifted the fur blanket and gestured for her to slide underneath. Leanne covered herself up with a tick fur and began to crawl awkwardly towards him. "You are that cold?", he asked. "I'm naked. My clothes got all wet when I tried to take a 'bath'", she replied with embarrassment. Bet-khar grimaced as he looked at Leanne up and down, "Just stay on your side of the mattress and don't invade my space", he ordered. Leanne nodded and laid down in the far corner of the bed.

He turned off the lights and watched her for a few minutes before closing his eyes and falling into a deep asleep. 

The next morning Bet-khar woke up felling well rested and hungry. He was about to sit up but froze when he felt a light weight on top of him. Barely noticeable, but it was there. His gaze naturally followed the small heat signature and landed on the human sprawled comfortably on top of him. Tinny arms rested across his bare chest and skinny pale legs wrapped around his torso. Her lips were slightly parted, and she was drooling on him.

Bet-khar glowered with disgust at the pool of saliva forming on his chest and began to push the human off his body. Leanne mumbled something unintelligible and opened her eyes. Her body tensed for a moment and then relaxed when she saw the irritation on Bet-khar's face. She untangled herself from him and smiled sheepishly, her face instantly turning red. "Sorry, I... didn't meant to drool on you."

Bet-khar rose to his full height and glory, grunted with frustration and tossed another look at Leanne, "You have no shame human. You are sleeping on the floor tonight". Her mouth hung open in surprise when she caught glimpses of his full naked body. She quickly covered her eyes with her hands and squealed "You are not wearing any clothes!" Bet-khar shook his head exasperated and headed to the cleansing unit. His heavy voice muttered something, but their language barrier blocked its meaning.

Leanne tried to stand up but her body rejected the motion, and her backside went right back to the mattress. Whatever she saw was thick, like the rest of him. Bet-khar didn't think much of it. He seemed completely unaware of his size and gender difference. To Leanne's relieve, despite  Bet-khar's size he was the furthest thing from aroused. He was actually annoyed at her for some reason. Well, the drooling and invasion of his personal space might have been the reason.

The relieve she felt seconds ago faded and she thought about a few things: he was flaccid because of his age (although she didn't know how old he was), or the most probable reason, he found her unattractive. That thought sucked! She didn't want him to find her attractive, that's for sure. But being considered ugly by a species that looked like him did nothing for her ego.