XXII. IT'S IN THE BLOOD

I WOKE WITH A START, finding myself in the passenger seat of a car. To my left I saw Klaus, who stared at the road ahead of us as he drove, noticing me when I sat up. The night sky was blanketed with stars, and there were nothing but evergreen trees for miles, and all I could wonder was where we he was taking me, and why.

"You're up." He smiled, revealing a pair of dimples.

"You snapped my neck."

Twice in one day, I thought to myself.

"You wouldn't have complied if I hadn't."

My brows knitted.

"Complied with what? Where are we going?"

I remembered I had slipped my phone into my jacket after getting dressed, but now, as I searched my pockets, I realized I couldn't find it anywhere.

"You won't find your phone." Klaus said. "It's back in Mystic Falls with the rest of the things you no longer need."

"What are you talking about?" was all that I could ask.

"Alaric's after my family and I." He explained, looking to me. "Which means that he's also after you."

My brows knitted in response, before he added, "you're linked to me, as I'm the one that turned you into a vampire."

"... so, everything really is all your fault."

━━━━

KLAUS WAS SILENT as he drove. His jaw was clenched, gaze intense and unflinching. He seemed lost in thought. And I was too, lost in my own thoughts. My thoughts of Stefan, and the impending doom that was steadily on it's way towards my friends and my family, and me.

I thought about Klaus, too. A lot. I thought of everything that must have lied between us, all that had been erased.

"Why did you turn me?" I decided to ask, glancing over at him.

He sighed and licked his lips.

"A lot of things happened that led to your transition." After a beat, he looked to me and said, "it was in part because I love you."

His only weakness, I thought.

My mind went back to what he'd said before he snapped my neck, then to what Stefan had told me, and I realized, Klaus wanted me to leave with him last night, but I didn't go.

"I chose Stefan." I deduced, looking to him. "That night, you wanted me to leave with you, but I couldn't because I couldn't leave Stefan."

"...something like that."

After another second of silence, I turned to look at him and said, "well, I guess you got what you wanted."

He huffed, shaking his head.

"Yes, Lyssa," he began, sarcasm laced in his voice. "what I wanted was to take you against your will, after my mother wiped you of your memories."

"With everything I've heard about you, this seems like your ideal situation."

"What else did they tell you?"

"Just that you're the reason that a lot of the people that I cared about are dead." I said, before adding, "and that I was in love with you, despite all of it."