undying love [twenty-one]

𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕣𝕖𝕓𝕠𝕣𝕟 𝕒𝕟𝕘𝕖𝕝

A sign on the wall of the dark corridor reads LONG-TERM CARE. Madison and Scott follow Derek past it while throwing glances back to see if they're still alone in the hall.

"What are we doing here?" Scott asks, but Derek doesn't answer, just continuing toward a room at the end of the hall.

Derek ushers the twins into the dark hospital room, quietly closing the door behind them. He pulls the curtain back from the window to let in the moonlight which reveals a man in a wheelchair sitting nearby. Only one side of his body can be seen, a blank, catatonic expression on his face.

Madison shudders, feeling a cold breeze wash over her. Something about this room reminded her of so much death. She didn't know whether it was people who have died here or people who have killed people here.

"Who is he?" Scott asks, holding Madison's hand, feeling her uneasiness.

"My uncle," Derek says, almost as if he was recalling memories with the man. "Peter Hale."

"Is he... like you?" Scott asks, "A werewolf?"

"Like us," Madison corrects the boy, still clutching his hand.

"He was," Derek frowns, "Now he's barely even human."

Grabbing the arm of the chair, he pulls Peter Hale around. As the man's head lolls to the side, Madison and Scott cringe at what they see.

Severe burn scars on the other side of his body. Darkened flesh twists across his face, down his neck and arm. Derek continues, "Six years ago my sister and I were at school when my house caught fire. Eleven people were trapped inside. He was the only survivor."

"How are you so sure they set the fire?" Scott asks, making Madison throw him a look. He was being very insensitive at the moment.

"They're the only ones who knew about us," Derek explained.

"Then they had a reason," Scott states, making Madison smack the back of his head.

"Yes, 'cause that justifies burning up people in their own home," Madison retorts.

"Like what?" Derek asks Scott angrily. He had every right to be, Madison knew that. "What justifies this? They say they'll only kill an adult and only with absolute proof. But there were members of my family who were perfectly ordinary in that fire. This is what they do."

He turns Peter's face to the twins so they can see it perfectly in the light, "It's what Allison will do." Derek pauses, sensing something. He takes a step back as the door opens, a night nurse, named Jennifer, looking in.

Another cold breeze sweeps through Madison, making the grip on Scott's arm tighten. She had no clue why she was only feeling this, not Derek and Scott. For this reason, she shoved it to the side.

"What are you doing? How'd you get in here?" She retreats from the door as if to yell for security. But then stops when she sees Derek in the light from the window.

"We were leaving," Derek monotonously says.

"Wait," the nurse calls out, "are you a relative?"

He doesn't answer, heading past her. Not knowing what else to do, Scott and Madison follow. She looks after them, curious.

~

A fluorescent light flickers with an irritating buzz. Two hands reach up to twist the bulb out of its socket in the ceiling of a quiet video store.