⤷ 26| BEYOND THE VEIL

Are you ready?

chapter twenty-six : beyond the veil

☆ ☆ ☆

Juniper froze as she recognized the voice. She turned around and saw black shapes emerging out of thin air all around them, blocking their way left and right; eyes glinted through slits in hoods, a dozen lit wand-tips were pointing directly at their hearts, Ginny gave a gasp of horror.

"To me, Potter," the drawling voice of Lucius Malfoy repeated as he held out his hand, palm up.

Juniper shuffled closer to Harry, trying to push him behind her. They were outnumbered, by a lot.

"To me," Lucius said again, his eyes not leaving Harry.

"Where's Sirius?" Harry questioned.

Several of the Death Eaters laughed; a harsh female voice from the midst of the shadowy figures to June's left said triumphantly, "The Dark Lord always knows!"

"Always," Lucius echoed softly. "Now, give me the prophecy, Potter."

"I want to know where Sirius is!" Harry exclaimed and June winced at this, knowing fully well he wasn't here. They had set up a trap and they had fallen for it.

"I want to know where Sirius is!" the woman to her left mimicked.

She and her fellow Death Eaters had closed in so that they were mere feet away from June and the others, the light from their wands dazzling June's eyes.

"You've got him," Harry said, and June could tell he was starting to panic. "He's here. I know he is."

"The little baby woke up fwightened and fort what it dweamed was twoo," the woman said in a horrible, mock baby voice. Juniper saw Ron stir.

"Don't do anything," Harry muttered. "Not yet —"

The woman who had mimicked him let out a raucous scream of laughter.

"You hear him? You hear him? Giving instructions to the other children as though he thinks of fighting us!"

"Oh, you don't know Potter as I do, Bellatrix," Lucius said softly. "He has a great weakness for heroics; the Dark Lord understands this about him. Now give me the prophecy, Potter."

"I know Sirius is here," Harry said, panicking by now. "I know you've got him!"

More of the Death Eaters laughed, though Bellatrix laughed loudest of all.

"It's time you learned the difference between life and dreams, Potter," Lucius said. "Now give me the prophecy, or we start using wands."

"Go on, then," Harry said, raising his own wand to chest height. The other seven wands rose on either side of him. Juniper pursed her lips. This was it.