𝟏𝟓. ✭ 𝐁𝐑𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐒 ✭

Torey stalks out of the house I'd tracked him and Dani to. When he speeds out of the driveway I kick my car into gear. I follow as close as I can behind him but he's driving like a complete fucking maniac. Can't say he doesn't know how to handle a vehicle though but Jesus Christ he's making it hard to tail him.

I swerve around the last corner, trying to keep my distance but also maintain my sights on him. My guess is he's not paying attention to who's behind him anyway. The man is clearly on a mission. That's when I see our final destination.

No fucking way.

I brake hard, not wanting to pull into that particular parking lot. The Federal Bureau of Investigation. I park along a side street and watch as Torey pulls up, chucks a baseball cap on top of his head, and then walks inside angrily. I eye the clock. It's 12:27 in the afternoon. He's just walking in there with zero fucks given which means he knows that he can, that there won't be a problem with it.

It would seem the Dedaj household's right hand, the number one made man beside Dedaj himself, is an undercover agent. Things Dani had said start making a lot more sense now. She'd said her last boyfriend turned out to be an entirely different man than he'd portrayed to be. That's because he was.

Now, I may not like Torey, his personality is grating at best, but it's understandable. You put up a front for so long it becomes your personality. I was once a good man, decent even. I served for my country and then afterwards, well, I became something I never thought I'd be. I did things I once never thought I would do.

I'd taken countless lives because it was easy for me. I was trained in multiple forms of combat, weaponry, and my ability to track people down and murder them quietly was impeccable. Acquire a target and then execute the task, well, execute the individual or individuals. I was able to do that job with ease until the last two that I was assigned before Dani. She's my retirement position, if you will.

The faces of two children flash before my vision and my stomach rolls. I snatch the small pint out of the glove compartment, the one that sits next to my gun. I'd left that part out of what I'd told Dani. She didn't need the horrid, sordid details of everything that'd happened before her. She changed me back into the person I'd been before. I'd never let her see that side of me. Dani was my endgame in more ways than one because she made me remember who I was; am.

The amber liquid washes down my throat several times before Torey finally makes his way out of the doors. He drives away again and I follow. His driving isn't as erratic as it was previously. It would look like he's heading back to the house he'd came from but at the last minute he takes a sharp turn.

Fuck. I've been made.

He starts driving faster and I kick up my pace as well, handling the gear shift with expertise. Torey flies through a stop sign and I do just the same, barely missing a pick-up truck as I do. I swerve in and out of traffic, quickly picking up with him. He's a good driver but I'm better and now that I know he knows I'm following him I might as well fuck with him.

Let's have a little bit of fun.

I pull up alongside him, driving on the opposite side of the road. Looks like we're in England, buddy. Our windows align and I lift my bottle of whiskey up and mouth the letters F.B.I. widely. His eyes take on that deer in the headlights look as he takes me in and then that quickly changes to fury. My eyes flash back to the road, making sure there's no one coming because a head on collision isn't part of my plans for the day. Not with another car, at least.

Torey tries to pull away from me but I shift up again, pushing my car to go even faster. There's a car in front of me but I've got this. Who doesn't like a little game of chicken, anyway? With just a breath between each vehicle and mine I slide in front of Torey, throwing him a middle finger out the window for good measure.