Chapter twenty-three

TW: Death threats, swear words, torture and mentions of rape

The next morning, Snape wakes up to Y/N hugging his left arm like it was a teddy bear. He can't help but chuckle at her. She looks quite adorable. He gently removes his arm out of her grasp and rises from the bed to put on his clothes.

As he does so, he notices Y/N awake, staring at him. He gives her a smirk. "Good morning" he says in his velvety morning voice.

She instantly blushes when she realises that she has been staring at him. "Good morning" she mutters as she gives him a shy smile.

Suddenly, Snape's arm is in pain. "Fuck. He is summoning me" he says as he grips his left arm in pain, cursing under his breath.

Y/N looks at him, worried. "Do not worry. I will tell him that you were already gone as I tried to catch you. I have been at Hogwarts since then" he says, reassuring her.

Before he leaves, she grabs both of his hands. "Please be careful, Severus" she says in a pleading tone. He gives her a reassuring nod before he then hurries out of Grimmauld Place to apparate to Malfoy Manor.

Y/N puts on her clothes, well - Narcissa's clothes, and leaves her room. She's then met by the Trio. "Good morning, Y/N. Do you know where Professor Snape just went?" Harry asks her curiously while Ron and Hermione look at her, curious as well.

Y/N sighs. "Good morning, guys. Voldemort- I mean You-Know-Who, just summoned him. He will tell him that he didn't get me in time and that he has been staying at Hogwarts ever since then" she says as she corrects herself but it's too late. Hermione and Ron both gasp at the mentioning of his name. Oops.

Hermione can't help but have a bad feeling about this, though.

Meanwhile, the Death Eaters are once again gathered in the dining room of Malfoy Manor. When Snape arrives, he's met by Lucius. "Thank Salazar you are here. He is very, very pissed off. I am afraid he might blame me - once again" Lucius says as he sighs.

"I am sure he will. By the way, Y/N told me to thank you. You know, for saving her from Dolohov. It has affected her a great deal" Snape says to him.

Lucius gives him a smile. "Thank you for telling me, Severus. I am just glad that we came in time to stop it. I still cannot believe he almost raped her. I will have to listen to Cissy when she says only one glass" he says, regretting not listening to his wife.

They both then enter the dining room together. Voldemort is looking angrier than ever.

"I am absolutely disappointed! You let the Order take the girl with them! You know that I cannot defeat The Boy Who Lived without her! And you, Dolohov! Apparently, you cannot control your lust. You ignored a direct order! Lucius!" he hisses as he turns to look at the long-haired man.

Lucius gulps. "Yes, my Lord?" he slowly asks.

Voldemort suddenly uses the Cruciatus Curse on Draco who is there, too. Narcissa starts to cry. "You let them get away! You had the responsibility and you failed me once more!" the Dark Lord says in a very angry tone.

Lucius gets down on his knees. "It was not my fault, my Lord! Please do not harm my son!" he begs as he defends himself, hoping the Dark Lord will stop using the curse on his son.

Snape has an unreadable expression but he feels bad for the Malfoys. Lucius is a good friend of his, so it's difficult for him to witness this. After all, Draco is Snape's godson.

Bellatrix suddenly steps forward. "I know it sounds unbelievable, my Lord, but it is actually true. It is not my sister's incompetent husband who is at fault - it is Snape. I saw him take the girl with him. He did not even help us fight. I have never trusted him" she says as she gives Snape a disgusted look.

Everybody then turns to look at Snape in disbelief. Even Lucius is surprised. Voldemort stops torturing Draco immediately. Both Narcissa and Lucius run to their son, hugging him while the boy is crying.

Voldemort then turns to look at Snape, too. "Severus" he calmly says.

"My Lord?" Snape asks, carefully.

He's suddenly hit by the Cruciatus Curse as well. Snape's body jolts in pain. After a moment, it finally stops.

"Legilimency!" Voldemort yells as he enters Snape's mind. "Traitor! You have betrayed me! But do not fear, I will not kill you. No, I will use you as bait for the girl. She will most definitely come to me in order to save her favourite character" he says as he gives an evil laugh.

Lucius gets slightly jealous. Y/N likes Snape more than him? However, he is thankful for not being used as bait.

Snape looks at Lucius, looking sorry that the Dark Lord tortured Draco before, as well as giving him a look that says "Look into my mind". Lucius instantly understands and uses Legilimency on him as he sees what Snape wants to show him. Lucius gives him a reassuring nod.

Voldemort then turns to him. "Lucius, go and give the girl a message. Tell her to come to the Forbidden Forest tonight. If she does not do so, the Potions Master of Hogwarts will die. And it will be a most painful death" he orders him.

Lucius nods as he takes his leave. However, he can't help but worry about his friend. He might have betrayed the Dark Lord but he is still a very dear friend to him.

At the Headquarters, the Order is about to discuss what to do now. Until there is suddenly a knock on the door.

"Who in Merlin's name could that be? It cannot be Professor Snape as he knows how to enter" Mr. Weasley states. Dumbledore, Black, Lupin, Moody and Mr. Weasley are all at the door, ready to attack the intruder.

When they open the door, they are met by... Lucius Malfoy?

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" Black asks through gritted teeth.

Lucius rolls his eyes at him. "Relax, I come with peace. The Dark Lord has sent me to give a message to Y/N" he tells them. They all look at him suspiciously. Is this a trick?

"How did you even know where we were?" Moody questions him as his fake eye is scanning him. Only members of the Order know their location.

"Severus showed me through his mind as I used Legilimency on him. It was consensual, of course. Relax, he is on your side. I am telling the truth, you have my word. I swear on Salazar Slytherin" Lucius says, telling the truth.

Black can't help but get angry. "Liar! He has probably told the location to You-Know-Who! I knew we could not trust Snivellus!" he exclaims.

Lucius raises an eyebrow at him. Really? What is he, a fifth year student?

"I am telling the truth. Please let me help my friend by letting me give the message to Y/N" he says in a pleading tone.

He can't believe that he's begging a bunch of Gryffindors, but he has no other choice. If Y/N does not show up at the Forbidden Forest tonight, then Severus will die.

Dumbledore nods at Lucius. "I can tell that he is telling the truth. Come in, Lucius" he says as he gestures for him to enter. Lucius gives a grateful nod and does so. Black does not look happy but does not comment, either.

They all then enter the dining room. "Him! What is he doing here?!" Harry exclaims. Y/N is confused. How did Lucius get here?

"I am not liking it either, Harry, but Malfoy has a message to Y/N from You-Know-Who" Lupin slowly says. Everybody looks back and forth between Lucius and Y/N. What does Voldemort want?

Lucius clears his throat. "Yes. The Dark Lord has Severus, Y/N. He told me to inform you to meet him in the Forbidden Forest tonight. If you do not do as he says, then he will kill him slowly and painfully. I fear for my friend's life" he says as he gulps. Everybody gasps. You-Know-Who is going to kill Snape?

"I swear - if he hurts him, then I will break his legs and take out his eyes and torture him until he begs for death!" Y/N suddenly exclaims, rather violently and out of character, thinking she said it quietly but she didn't.

"Bloody hell" Ron whispers, absolutely surprised at the girl's threat. Everybody widens their eyes while Lucius smirks. She is quite protective of the Potions Master, huh? Well, they will have to save him before it's too late.