Chapter Seven

Josie

In lecture Monday morning, I keep my phone in my hoodie pocket. Every time it vibrates, I check it.

My political science group chat.

Trey saying good morning.

Livi's rant about her new professor, because her other one is on maternity leave.

Yet nothing from Hudson.

It's only ten AM, but I was hoping to know something early on. I can barely focus on my work.

I put my head in my hands and stifle a groan.

I was lying to myself thinking this wouldn't affect my school work.

My professor goes on and on. The minutes melt into an hour, and when class is let out, I still haven't heard from him.

Livi meets up with me in the courtyard. Luckily, we have the same schedule as far as times, so we can always eat together.

We've got it down to a science. I bring the bottles of water, or Starbucks if we're splurging that day, and she grabs us whatever looks most appetizing from the cafeteria.

"Any news?"

"No. I haven't even heard from him. Should I text him?"

"Hmm. I'd wait a little while longer. I'm sure he'll inform you once he knows something."

"I hope so."

"I mean, come on, you're this guys ticket to fame. You should have seen him at the door Saturday night. He was desperate!"

"That's because the producer only wanted to do the EP if I was on it."

"Yeah." Livi makes her best "duh" face, "And do you know why the producer said that? Cause you're a freaking rockstar, babe."

As I go to take the first bite of my Caesar wrap, my phone lights up on the table beside me.

I don't even mask my excitement as I throw my food down to grab it.

Hudson: Hey. Mark wants to meet with us tomorrow at six-thirty. Does that work for you?

"What does it say?" Livi, just as eager for this as I am, sits staring at me like she'll jump out of her seat any moment if I don't tell her.

"We're meeting at the record label tomorrow at six-thirty."

Ohmygosh. Tomorrow night I'm going to talk about contractually singing.

Even just for one song, that's a big deal!

"What if you get famous?"

Livi's words echo my own thoughts. What if I do?

I doubt it. People make songs all the time and never blow up.

But the possibility is there. And it's scary.

"I don't know. I won't get famous. If I do..." I try to make light of the situation that both terrifies and excites me, "I guess you and I will set sail on a luxury yacht around the country."

"That sounds perfect. Sing your heart out so we can get a butler, too. A hot one. Maybe one for each." She wags her eyebrows at me, and I throw my balled-up napkin at her.

"You're too much."

"You love me."

Before my next class my mom calls, but I decline it. I'm not in the mood to talk to her right now. She'll grill me on everything that's happening in my life, and I don't quite trust myself to not spill the beans about what I've been up to.

I'll call her back around the time I know she's busy, and then it'll be short or dismissed altogether.

Just like in my morning classes, I can't focus in this one, either. With only thirty minutes left, I get up and leave. I've already read ahead, and she was just going over the last chapter any way.

Opting to still shove calling my mom until later, I settle on calling my aunt Sadie instead. She's the only family member I have who will be supportive in this, and it would be nice to hear from her.

"What's up, sweetie?" Her voice fills the speaker pressed against my ear, and I smile.

"I just got out of class. Are you busy?"

"I have a little time. I don't start my dinner shift until five. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah."

I try and piece together what it is I want to say. Sadie and I have always been close. People say I look just like a younger version of her, and I always took pride in that.

She's beautiful with dirty blonde hair like mine, and brown eyes, too.

Sadie has a beauty mark on her upper lip, and when I was little, I thought it made her look like a princess. I used to draw one with my mother's eyeliner and pretend I was Sadie.

"Can I tell you something, and it stay between us?"

"Of course, Josie. Anything..." I hear her hesitate a moment, before whispering, "You're not pregnant, are you?"

"No!" I practically squeal. "I'm not pregnant, Sadie. You know I'm on the pill."

"Yeah, but miss one day on that and you'll get knocked up."

"I take it religiously." I assure her, "Every single day. I carry it in my purse so I can take it with my lunch."

"Good. I mean, not that I wouldn't love a little baby of yours. Just maybe not this exact second."

"I was actually calling to talk about singing."

"Oh?"

"I, um... started singing again."

"Really? Josie, that's amazing!"

I sigh in relief at her good reaction, then continue to spill every detail of the past few days to her.

"Wow." Sadie answers after listening intently. "It sounds like fate."

"Kind of, right? I mean, you know this used to be my dream."

"Used to be? Or always has been?"

I let silence settle between us. She knows me too well. This has always been my dream, but I feel guilty about it.

"I've always wanted this. But—"

"Ah, ah, ah. No ma'am. You don't get to say a "but" when it involves your dreams. They're yours, Josie. Chase them. You have every right. I don't care what your parents say."

I climb into my car and sink against the headrest. I know she's right. I just wish I could make myself believe it.

As great as this conversation has been, I know it won't go over so nicely with the rest of the people in my life.

"I love you." I tell her, meaning it with every fiber of my being. "I'll call you tomorrow and let you know how it went."

"Please do. I love you, too, sweetie."