34. Douma

When Giyuu could not spot you in your room, he panicked.

He was sure that you knew about your meeting with him tonight, so he quietly called for your name, turning over chairs and tossing aside blankets in an attempt to find you.

"You can stop hiding now," the demon slayer chuckled in reference to the many hide-and-seek games that he had lost to you as children, although his laughter was dry, nervous, and forced.

He peered into your mansion's dark halls, cautiously stepping into the chilly corridors as he wondered where you went.

Wooden sandals clacking against the floorboards, Giyuu paced from door to door, heart racing faster with every passing second that you were missing.

"A-A-Are you a demon slayer?" a small voice squeaked behind the boy just as he was about to turn into the living room.

The Water Pillar whisked around to spot a girl crouched by a display case. She shielded her head with trembling hands as she eyed Giyuu's katana.

Judging from her apron and robes, Giyuu could tell that she was a housemaid who, for some reason, had not gone home for the night.

Giyuu's eyes softened at the scene, yet he was well aware that he was often awkward in social situations and did not know how to comfort the girl.

So when the Water Pillar realized that he had been blankly staring at the housemaid for a tad too long, Giyuu blurted the first, most logical reply in mind.

"Yes, I'm a demon slayer. Why?" he responded a bit too monotonously, not easing the girl at all.

She pointed down the hall, signaling to a door that had been cracked open.

"T-The kitchen," she gulped, the fear evident in her voice. "Somebody had..."

Before she could finish her sentence, Giyuu had already reached the room's entrance.

He slid the rest of the door open, and when he gazed upon the scene, his panic warped into a deep, sinking fear with only one thought that formed in his head.

"Where are you, Y/N?"

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

You woke up to a forceful cough.

Despite the summer weather, the evening's cool air hissed in through the gaps of your kimono and crept against your skin, further urging you to wake up.

Eyes fluttering open, you nearly mistakened the dark and well-adorned vicinity for your own bedroom if you had not immediately noticed that your wrists were tied behind your back.

You groggily rose up from the plush cushions that you had slept on.

The silence of the night and the soft chittering of insects were the only things keeping you company as you wondered where you were.

The last thing you remembered was a demon, the so-called Douma, beating the living daylights out of you.

Speaking of which...

"You're awake!" the said man cheered when a door opened to his figure.

The blonde hopped into the room, smiling even further when he noticed your silly attempt in a threatening scowl.

He bounced in your direction like a little kitten on catnip, and once he approached you, the demon squatted down to your level.

For the first time, you were able to thoroughly study the man's features: the maroon shirt that hugged the curves of his torso, the golden tresses that tumbled down his back, the pastel palette that he captured in his eyes.