33 | loki: a review

So I just finished the Loki series literally 20 minutes ago and I'M ???!!!!??!!??!!

(Update: It's been a few hours since I finished writing this on my lunch break, but I'm still ???!!!?!!??!!!!!?!!)

Here's a mostly incoherent rant about my thoughts and everything. I'll try to organize it like I did when I discussed Shadow and Bone.

THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE FINALE. DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

LIKED:

—The cinematography was just gorgeous. I loved all of the colors, lighting, and costumes. There was a lot of CGI involved and I think they did a fantastic job of it! Everything was beautiful and I find it amazing how far CGI has come.

—Tom Hiddleston was absolutely phenomenal. He's always been the perfect Loki, but this performance was just. Outstanding. He portrayed such a wide range of emotions, added little details that give us a glimpse of what Loki is thinking/feeling without him speaking, and acted out so much development packed into a short period of time. I'm so proud of him, especially because he wasn't well-known when he was cast and people were angry about it. Look at him now!!

—Before this series, I was pissed off that Loki was killed in Infinity War and then took the Tesseract in Endgame because all of his development, especially the extensive parts we saw in Taika's Ragnarok, was essentially for nothing if he was just going to revert back to his old self. But this show actually made me pleased and I would argue that his development may be better than before. In Ragnarok, Loki became closer to his brother, but in the show, he becomes a better person for himself and has a vital change of heart about his world view in general.

It's like how he asked Kang the Conquerer about destroying innocent timelines, and how he warned Sylvie against starting a multiversal war that would end in chaos. Before, he absolutely would have wanted to usurp the throne and be the all-knowing one. He would have agreed to the timeline that would have let him win against the Avengers in a heartbeat. His refusal of these things, plus his complete trust in Mobius when he used to prefer to work alone, shows just how far he's come.

—I absolutely adore Sylvie. I know she's deeply flawed, but literally every character is, and I just want to give her a big hug. I think she was incredibly well-written. After the horrors of surviving J*ss Wh*don's writing of Nat, the erasure of Sharon Carter's importance in the MCU, Jane being used as a plot device to the point where Natalie Portman didn't want to be in The Dark World, and the first female-led Marvel movie not coming out until 2019, it's so refreshing to see a female character that's well-written right off the bat and not dismissed. There was a focus on her and a deep dive into what drives her. I love her with my entire being.

Sylvie: *Does anything*

Me: