The Normality Of An Abnormal Life

"How would I even begin to get over there?" You wondered. As you turned to walk toward your room to think more about how you would do it you bumped into Tanya in the hallway.

You were surprised to see her, but her presence wasn't unwelcome, "Oh, hey Tanya."

The fox gave you a skeptical glare, "Kiba, what're you up to?"

"What do you mean?" You asked.

She bent over to look you in the eye, "Ya have that look, ya know? The one you get when you're thinking about something you shouldn't be."

"Um... did you want to tell me something?" You asked as you tried to change the subject.

Tanya continued to give you that suspicious stare, "Hmmm...." At length she stood up, "...Yeah... Your mom wanted to see you."

"Oh, really? Where is she?" You asked.

"Her usual thinking spot," The fox answered cryptically.

You gave Tanya a confused stare, "Okay?"

The yipped in laughter, "You two are more alike than ya think. Just go where you would to do some serious thinking and I'm sure you'll find her."

With that she walked down the hallway heading for the stairs. You stood in the hallway wondering what she meant. You then recalled that any time you had ever done serious thinking you found yourself out on the roof. The sun was setting, and Luna was quietly watching it with her legs dangling over the side of the edge.

You took a step towards her when her ears suddenly twitched, prompting her to turn her head to regard you. She wore a small smile on her face, "Come sit with me." You didn't say anything, you simply did as you were asked and sat next to Luna who had returned her gaze to the sunset.

"You doing alright?" She asked.

"I think so," You answered as you looked up at her, "Are you?"

Luna chuckled to herself, "That's an interesting question. Well, from my point of view at least." She then looked down at you, "Before you came along work was all that mattered to me, just doing my best at my job. I never even considered the fact that I was employed by a power-hungry psychopath." Luna paused in shook her head in disgust, "Makes me angry just thinking about it."

You placed your hands down on either side of yourself and leaned back a little, "So why'd you do it for so long?"

"I suppose I felt that she had to be right," The wolf replied, "She was my employer and the Mayor. I never really grew up outside of the city and I didn't ever pay much attention to people who weren't doing so well financially. So I was solely focused on keeping people safe. Silvia never actually asked me to do anything that went against my moral compass. In fact, most of the cases she assigned to me were pretty cut and dry. She had me go after the worst kinds of people and lead the toughest operations. So as far as I was concerned, I was doing the right thing and working for a good person. My world was black and white, there was no grey or hidden motive. And then Tanya retired. She told me she was leaving the city too."

"If Tanya left, why didn't you?" You asked.

"Tanya was a trainer and former captain," Luna replied, "She had seen and done things for Silvia that were less than reputable. I'll leave it at that. Initially, she told herself she was doing the right thing, and the right thing wasn't always easy to do. But the more time that passed, the more she saw that convinced her she was working for a monster. So she left, when I tried to convince her to stay she told me that one day, I'd see something that would make me want to leave too. I had no clue what she was talking about, in the end I just let it go. But I couldn't help but think about that statement from time to time."