Chapter 18; Creature Comforts

My twt is @HadesTrades, I post updates on delays or reschedules there, follow to keep updated!

-

Tommy was in and out on the way back to their home. He remembered crossing through the nether at some point.

The hot air had consumed him and made it hard to breathe. It was a painful reminder of how badly he needed something to drink.

When they returned, Dream sat him down on the sofa in the living area. He remembered next, the man placing a glass of water to his lips and the moment he felt the wetness pour across his tongue, he grabbed the glass desperately.

In seconds he'd chugged it down and asked for more, drinking until he finally felt satisfied. He was still too tired to eat and after his thirst had been quenched he fell right back to his sleep. In that cell he felt he never rested, too alert to even attempt, despite how exhausted he became.

Dream tended to his wounds gently, not wanting to wake the boy. It was obvious Tommy needed the rest.

Phil was watching silently from afar with curiosity, and concern. The shift between the two seemed so strange, borderline unnatural. He knew how manipulative Dream could be, and it worried him to think what he must have done to Tommy to get him to be so obedient.

While Phil wasn't truly Tommy's father- that was more Wilbur's role, after they'd adopted the boy, and Wilbur took Tommy away at a young age to join on his many escapades- Phil was still familiar with Tommy's fire and passion. His hard headed stubbornness.

To break Tommy down and rewire him to be this way with someone he'd hated so deeply; Dream must have done something drastic.

There was no way this had just been from being exiled. There had to be more to it.

Phil watched carefully. They all did. Sapnap came around every now and again to give Dream food and water for Tommy, then first aid supplies. Techno and Phil stayed back, feeling excluded from whatever family-esque dynamic was going on between the three.

What really unnerved Phil was when Tommy finally woke, and had returned to full consciousness. The boy threw his arms around Dream, clinging to him, and Dream hugged him back gently.

"Careful, careful. You'll pull your wounds," Dream warned with a chuckle.

"Dream," Tommy choked and held tightly onto the back of Dream's hoodie. Grasping him as if he were Tommy's very lifeline. "I fuckin'... I'm so sorry."

Phil was taken aback. Why was Tommy apologizing?

Tommy knew though. In his mind he needed to apologize, because the only thing that made sense to him as to why he'd ended up in such deep shit was if he'd done something wrong. He shouldn't have taken the separate portal from Phil. He should have gone directly back to Dream.

That's what Dream would have wanted.

"Hey, it's okay," Dream told him comfortingly. "I'm glad you're alright, Tommy. You should eat, okay?"

Phil had seen enough and waved subtly for Techno and Sapnap to both follow him.

They stepped out of the cabin and into the snow. The white fluff crunched beneath their feet, and the cold air passed over them bitterly.

"What the hell is going on with Dream and Tommy?" Phil got right to the point. Sapnap and Techno both exchanged a look. Despite their outward display of ignorance, deep down they both were aware something wasn't right.

"Uh..." Sapnap started first. The man rubbed the back of his neck and looked up and away. Avoiding eye contact. His body language showed the guilt he felt for not having said or really done anything earlier. Not that he was entirely aware of Tommy's situation, he was more aware than anyone else.