Exercises 101

These are some exercises to build on the fundamental concepts laid out in the previous chapter. You should try to practise these daily or several times a week in order to really get to grips on them and develop your connection with witchcraft.

Journaling

Before I tell you about the exercises I want to first advise you to grab a notebook so that you can write down your experiences and form a collection of all the knowledge you gain as you research witchcraft more and more. Journaling is very useful for spotting connections between your experiences that you might easily miss, and it's also a really great way to track your progress and observe how you grow as a practitioner.

For each exercise you should make a note of:
📆 the date
🕒 the time
🌘 current moon phase
😐 how you feel before the exercise
💬 any thoughts or sensations during the exercise
🙂 how you feel after the exercise

Book of Shadows: Many witches like to keep what is known as a "Book of Shadows" or a grimoire. The term, Book of Shadows, has Wiccan origins but has been widely adopted by most witches from all kinds of traditions. This is where a witch compiles all of their knowledge about witchcraft for later reference. A witch's grimoire does not have to be a physical notebook if that is inconvenient - there is nothing to stop you from making a digital Book of Shadows in a Word document, notes app, or even here on Wattpad!

 A witch's grimoire does not have to be a physical notebook if that is inconvenient - there is nothing to stop you from making a digital Book of Shadows in a Word document, notes app, or even here on Wattpad!

Meditation Exercises

💭 Mindfulness meditation: Sit somewhere comfortable, either crossed legged or feet flat on the floor. Take a deep breath in through your nose, hold it for a few seconds, then slowly breathe out through your nose, emptying your lungs completely. Contract your belly to force the last bit of air out, then take a deep breath in again. As you repeat this, you may notice your heartbeat slowing down and a sense of calm washing over you.
Once you have a nice rhythm going, take note of any thoughts or sensations that come and go. Don't worry about intrusive thoughts interrupting your meditation; this is completely normal. Simply take note of them, and pass them on without judgement. You can imagine your thoughts like little boats floating down a river. Maybe some of the boats get caught up in front of you; just take note of them, and pass them down the river without judgement.
Then bring your focus back to your breath, continuing to breathe deeply and concentrate on experiencing the present moment.