I care

Archer pov

Working a double was something I never signed up for and now that I'm half way though it I am regretting not saying anything sooner however nothing can be done now as I stand in the er treating the patients as they come in. Treating my last patient I take a seat at the desk filling out the paperwork from the last couple of patients while trying my hardest not to look at the clock every five-seconds which I have been doing for the last hour but every time I look it feels like the time hasn't moved. Placing my head in my hands I try to tune out the whole world but it doesn't work as someone turns up the tv, I didn't even know there was a remote for the tv in the er, normally its light music playing in the back ground and thats normally for the patients

"The scenes behind me have taken a change as a paramedic steps onto the edge of the bridge in hope of talking the man down, the man has been standing there for over ten minutes before the fire engines came and while we expected for one of them to talk the man down, it was the paramedic who made the first move" hearing the television I shot my eyes up hoping it isn't Ellie again but as I look at the tv I find it is Ellie who's standing on the edge of a bridge, I am starting to wonder if she has a death wish of something but as I watch the tv I start hearing Ellie voice, I didn't think the cameramen could do that. Listening to the man talk about his wife I hear a couple of women spoon, i guess they love it when a man talks about his wife like that but I have kept my eyes of Ellie, holding my breath when she takes a step closer, I know the men have her and wont let her fall but I can't take my eyes of her and her actions. Looking at her now I now understand why she does what she does, she's a caring person and doesn't think about herself first, she puts everyone in front of herself.

"His last words was ' I love you'" I look at Ellie seeing the tears run down her face I knew a little about her past but I didn't know everything and now that I hear Ellie talk about her husband I hear whispers around the room, I guess no one knew Ellie was a trained fire fighter or that she witness her husband take his final breath. Watching as the fire fighters jump on Ellie I cant breath until I see her safe, the cameraman follows Ellie as she walks away before coming back to the reporter.

"Wow I'm lost for words right now as I wipe the tears away, everyone deserves to hear a final goodbye, my heart is for both the paramedic and the man right now. However just in from a source... The paramedic Ellie lost her husband Tristan in a factory fire, he pushed Ellie to the side as the roof collapse on him, she was dragged out seconds later and just in time as the whole building collapsed. Tristan left behind a son he shared with paramedic Ellie" Turning the tv off everyone eyes turn to me as I'm the one with the remote in my hands and as I look around I see a lot of different emotions, some are wiping there tears as others are standing around with there mouths open. I can't believe Ellie was in the building when the roof collapse, I don't know how one can move on after seeing their other half die in their arms.

Placing the remote out of sight I go back to the paperwork that sits in front of me but my mind isn't in it as I think about Ellie and whats she's been though however now the whole town knows she's a widow with a child and even worse that she witness her husband take his final breath. Running my hand though my hair as I lend back in the chair I try my hardest not to think about Ellie but when I open my eyes I see Ellie enter the hospital with the man from the bridge, all eyes are on Ellie as she walks in she takes one look around before rolling her eyes and waking next to the desk i'm sat at to write her report. I have no idea what she's going though nor how to start a conversation after hearing everything I heard, I cant just ask her about her husband as there a good chance she could smack me or walk around.

"Hey, is it going to rain? I rather not get drenched when I leave?" I ask knowing its better then asking if she's ok, I have been working long enough to know not to ask that question as it can set a couple people off and from looking at Ellie she rather do anything not to be asked that question. Ellie brings her head up from what she writing and gives me a smile before looking at the exit doors and before she answers we both hear the rain his the glass door, I guess I got my answer and Ellie just smiles at me like she knew it was going to rain. Without another word Ellie leaves leaving me alone to do my paperwork which I have nearly finished thank god, carrying a couple of discharge papers I head to the first patient giving her the discharge papers and follow up appointment date. My day consists of seeing patients and then discharging them, its rarely I see a OR now and honestly I don't mind as running the ER has taken up most of my days.

Me: I think you jinxed us

Ellie: I would never, I'm wounded

Me: I think your ego will survive;)

Ellie: the cheek, i hope you don't kiss your mother with that mouth

Smiling at my phone I place it back in my pocket hoping she now has a little smile on her face as I hate seeing tears running down her face or her pissed off at everything and everyone, with the smile on my face I head to the break room thinking about Ellie and how she judged the weather perfectly. I hope it stops before I leave in a couple of hours as I really didn't bring a coat with me as it was perfect weather when I left, I should have checked the weather myself before I did though. Moving around the hospital I enjoy my little break which contains of myself getting my step count up which involved using the stairs to walk around the hospital, I always use the lifts as I'm a little lazy at times but as I walk down the stairs I spot a nurse standing there looking at me with those eyes, did I sleep with her and not remember...

"The on call room is empty" I hear the nurse say placing one of her hands on my chest waiting for me to take the next move which isn't likely as I look at her up and down before taking the step back and thoughts are coming in my head and this is a reason why I use the lifts also so no one can ambush me on the stairs. Looking at the nurses I.D I give her a once over smile before letting her down easy, there are other doctors around the hospital that screams easy. Peeling her hand away I walk away not feeling a little bit sorry for the nurse that came up to me, I have only thought about one women for a while now and thats Ellie, I have no problem waiting either till she's ready.