Chapter 2- Flames and Fears

"DRACO DON'T!" Frannie panted as she ducked her head to avoid another fragment of ceiling that fell from above.

Her cousin ignored her, his blonde hair shining amidst the dust and debris as he ran up the flight of stairs, sending a well-placed curse at a hooded figure.

"Ruddy idiot," Frannie grumbled, clutching her side and trying not to feel light-headed as a stream of blood trickled down her arm. Ducking underneath a flash of green light, she waved her wand at the caster, sending the Death Eater flying off the stairs and into the marble below. Pausing for a brief moment, she looked at the corridor, noting the ripped paintings and the piles of stone that lay in every direction. She never thought she would see Hogwarts in such shambles.

Following Draco up to the seventh corridor, Frannie shook her head at the pair of doors that only revealed themselves to the asker. Leave it up to Potter and his band of fools to forget to cover their trail.

Draco threw himself through the pair of doors, leading with his shoulder as Frannie scrambled behind, pointing her wand at Crabbe, who currently seemed to be threatening the Golden Trio.

"Come on, Vinnie," she snarled, seeing Hermione Granger's face whiten and feeling a stab of satisfaction. "That's right Granger, I'm no traitor."

Harry Potter sent Malfoy a fierce glare, thrusting his wand in the blonde's direction. "What are you doing with him, Fran?"

"He wants to help," Frannie responded wryly, not taking her eye off Crabbe and Goyle. She had never pegged Draco's tag-a-longs for a threat, but after the last year, who knew what they were capable of.

"You knew she was innocent?" Granger's voice was shrill as she looked between Harry and Frannie. "You never told us!" Ron put a comforting hand on her arm and Frannie suppressed a grimace. It looked like the two had finally figured out their feelings. She cast a quick glance at Draco, who had also seemed to note the action with a curl of his lip.

"She's a double agent," Harry explained hotly, obviously impatient to continue his quest. "Like Snape. We need to go."

Frannie's gaze caught on the silver tiara glittering in the boy's hand and she felt a rush of relief. "You found it!"

She was distracted as Crabbe sent a nasty jinx at her chest, barely having time to deflect it before scowling at the boy.

"YOU'RE A TRAITOR!" the Slytherin blubbered, waving his arms furiously.

Frannie raised a wry eyebrow. "Well spotted." She swore she heard Weasley give a snort and allowed herself a glimmer of satisfaction. "Now please leave and let the adults talk."

Crabbe raised his wand and made a series of violent motions, a wave of flame bursting through the air and curling into the head of a serpent. Its eyes blazed a malevolent orange as it reared its head back, snapping its fangs.

"FIENDYFIRE!" Frannie screamed, grabbing Draco's hand and shoving Hermione forward, nearly pushing the girl into a stack of books.

As she ran through the piles of rubbish, she cursed Voldemort for perhaps the millionth time. Did the bastard really have to make everything so complicated? She winced as the heat increased on her back, warning that the flames were not far behind. Suddenly, Draco's hand left her grasp as she looked up to see Harry on a broomstick, swinging her cousin up behind him. Despite the circumstances, she suppressed an eye roll. The boy who lived really had the most unfair luck.

"FRANNIE!" Draco's face disappeared into the smoke as the tail of the serpent scalded Frannie's arm, frying the fabric of her robes and making her cry out in pain.

Desperate, Frannie felt the handle of the cupboard press into her back as she stumbled backwards, eager to escape the flames. Pulling upon the door blindly, she stumbled inside, tripping into the darkness and slamming her head against the back of the chest. Then she knew no more.