Chapter 16- Birthday Crashes via Ferret

"Peter was brilliant in potions today!" Lily smiled at the Gryffindor boy from across the table in the Great Hall. "Slughorn was impressed."

Frannie beamed, trying to fight back the bitter feeling rising in her chest. "Congrats, Pete. That's wonderful!" Today was her birthday and she missed home desperately. She would even pay to see Potter's and Granger's faces.

Peter looked rather embarrassed, although she could see a small glimmer of pride in his eyes. With his permission, Frannie had told Lily about the Slytherins and the redhead had immediately agreed to help the boy in his studies, in her words, "so he could teach those slimy gits a thing or two."

"What's with you two and Wormy?" James gestured between the three of them, looking rather resentful of his friend. "You've been inseparable all week."

"Maybe," Lily began, her tone cool as she gazed at the bespectacled boy. "If you gave your friend more credit instead of focusing all the attention on yourself, more people would want to be around you."

James stiffened, a flash of annoyance in his hazel gaze as he turned toward Frannie. "I blame you, Black," he hissed. "You've really enjoyed stirring up trouble, haven't you?"

Frannie resisted the urge to snap back, pressing a smug smile on her face. "I solemnly swear I'm up to no good."

There was a loud clang as Sirius dropped his fork, staring at her with wide eyes. Lily looked rather confused, unable to figure out what the Marauders were so perturbed by.

Frannie continued to butter her garlic toast casually, her knife scraping the bread.

"Aren't you going to wish your daughter happy birthday?" Lily looked at Sirius reproachfully. "It's already evening."

Sirius squirmed in his seat, looking rather uncomfortable. He had hardly spoken a word to Frannie all week. "Er.. happy birthday, Fran."

"Don't sound too happy," Frannie sighed, stuffing a bite of toast into her mouth. "You know, I thought maybe things could be different here, but apparently not."

James looked defensive, loading a spoonful of mashed potatoes on his plate with a thud. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Do the math," Frannie replied, the bitterness rising from her chest and lacing her tone. "I'm the daughter of Sirius Black, famous bloodtraitor and Gryffindor rebel." The people sitting around her flinched at the term. "Yet I'm in Slytherin house, hated by Gryffindors, surrounded by purebloods and often compared to Regulus." She shrugged. "Sirius never liked me much."

Lily's eyes widened as she looked between the pair, a guilty expression on Sirius's face. "Surely Sirius wouldn't—"

"Its fine," Frannie sighed, waving her hand. "It's in the pas.. well future." She gazed out the window of the Great Hall sadly, examining the starry sky. "I just hoped that things would change."

"I don't see why I should feel guilty!" Sirius exclaimed, slamming his plate down moodily and making Frannie jump. "I'm not even this person you talk about yet!"

"Did you or did you not leave Regulus alone last year?" Frannie returned coldly, making Sirius turn rather white. "I would say the prejudice has already begun."

Sirius sent her a fierce glare, his lips pulled back in a snarl. "You don't know the first thing—"

"I was raised by Walburga and Orion for eleven years!" Frannie snapped, her heartbeat pounding in her ears. "I think I know a thing or two!"

The Marauders froze as Sirius sat back, shock flashing across his features. "What?" his voice was hoarse. "Where was—"

"It doesn't matter," Frannie replied quickly, stabbing a bit of roast and furious with herself for not watching her tongue.