Chapter 59 Babies and Business

Harry and the Morant boys were in the living room waiting for Harry’s father to return from the reception room. Harry had been left to host the Morants whilst his father contacted Amelia Bones. Harry was sure his father would be returning soon with Madam Bones.

The Morants were sat on the large five-seater sofa to Harry’s left. It wasn’t surprising given the nature of the “rumours” about the Slytherin’s that they had opted to safety in numbers. Not that it do them any good if the Slytherins had wanted to kill them.

Harry was sitting slightly curled up on the armchair closest to the door. If his father had been there Harry knew he would be getting a lecture about composure. Luckily, he was not so Harry was more than able to curl up comfortably with his friends.

‘So, Harry, what subjects are you going to take for your OWLs?’ asked Percy primly as ever.

‘Defence, Transfiguration, Potions, Herbology, Charms this year, obviously, as I have a solid grounding there,’ Harry said. ‘Father also hopes by the year after next at the latest my History, Politics, Latin, Magical Theory and Runes will have reached appropriate levels that I can take them even if it will be a year late. I want to take Care of Magical Creatures next year as well.’

‘A good well-rounded group of subjects,’ nodded Percy nodded. ‘It’s a shame we don’t do Latin and Magical Theory in Hogwarts.’

‘I did a lot of self-study in Magical Theory and several Magical languages in school,’ Bill said quietly. ‘They are fascinating.’

‘I am discovering more and more how much I don’t know about the Wizarding World,’ Harry admitted nodding. ‘And how lacking Hogwarts education is.’

Percy opened his mouth, ‘that’s not true. Hogwarts is the best school there is.’

Harry snorted, ‘maybe in Britain but worldwide its ranking isn’t even in the top twenty. Hogwarts is very much geared at repetitive spellcasting. Rather than learning how to use our magic, why we have magic and how to navigate the Wizarding World.’

Percy nodded, ‘it must put Muggleborn – or raised in your case – children at a huge disadvantage.’

‘I think that’s rather the point,’ Harry said dryly.

‘What do you mean?’ asked Bill.

Harry frowned, ‘you have no idea how hard it is being Muggle-raised. I know now how much of a disadvantage I was at and how I accidentally insulted traditionalists but I then didn’t understand. So, I didn’t understand why traditionally raised Pure-Bloods disliked me as soon as I opened my mouth. I just thought that they were all Death Eaters without bothering to try and understand why. And they wouldn’t explain. So, in the face of overwhelming derision that we only understand as hatred and bigotry Muggleborns and half-bloods turn to the one person who we is seen to support them unconditionally.’