Chapter 17

Lillian's POV

Just like clock work... the buttery savory smell of pancakes traveled through the room.

But I know the truth..

What I don't understand is why.

I happily ate and savored every bite before taking my shower and I was wrapped in my silk robe as my hair was still damp.

My mind is still boggled by Stefani, it's as if the more I try and understand her, the more I'm confused about her.

I was walking down the hall to put up my dishes from the bedroom until I heard yelling.

"Stefani, you have to be fair," Kent reasoned.

"I am, I'm being Sooooo fair, even Lillian would agree. How fairer can you get!" I could feel her voice vibrate through the floor boards. I peaked around the hall, not sure how to fit in with any of this.

"I told you to give her a chance, what the hell is this?!" Kent was pointing at- I think that's Stefani's laptop.

"Private property belonging to yours truly? What the hell does it look like KENT," she roared provoked.

"Your sarcasm is pushing. Why do you have videos of you and your mother on your laptop!" He slammed it shut.

"BECAUSE I MISS HER SOMETIMES UNLIKE YOU I ACTUALLY HAVE A HEALTHY WAY OF MOURNING INSTEAD OF FUCKING EVERY FIVE MINUTES!"

I ducked and heard a loud bang as Stefani stormed with her laptop to her room. I'm pretty sure she just shoved Kent.

"That's not fair and you know it!" He brushes himself off as he stomps to the door and starts banging his fist into it.

"Tell that to the woman you cheated on her with and then married her just to cheat on her with another woman!" She yelled through the door and started blasting music.

"Goddamnit Stefani!" Kent gave one last bang.

Quietly and cautiously, I stepped out of my hiding spot and Kent's eyes searched my entire body glistening in the morning sun...

"I'm trying to get through to her.." he sighs tiredly and I wrap my arms around his neck and he holds me by the waist.

"Believe it or not she's been giving me chance. She's given me a chance the day I moved here actually and last night I happened to slowly put the pieces together..." my voice trailed off and I kissed his cheek.

"What do you mean?" He looks down at me and hugs me tighter.

"I thought it was you who's been occasionally preparing breakfast in bed for me- but it's clear that it's been Stefani's doing and not yours. You're not much a cook, not that mind. But I came home later in the day and found her preparing for her launch for her small business and it led to me snooping on her laptop. I forgot to close it the window and the video remained. But the pancakes in that video have been the same pancakes that were prepared for me. Kent, cut her some slack. She's trying, but in her own way. The mother- the wife you two once had... she's admirable. I don't blame her for needing time. Kent, please don't be so hard on her," i cupped his face.

It's not lying if I left out the part where Stefani left notes with Kent's cologne, but that's not the point. One thing at a time.

Kent, I can get a grip on.

It's Stefani that's the challenge.

"Alright, alright," he sighs heavily taking in the scent of my perfume and looks down at his watch.

I wish he could stay longer but I understand.

"This isn't over. I love you," his eyes glowed into mine and he kisses me hungrily before walking out the door.

Now that's been handled.

I hadn't realized music stopped blaring and Stefani was peaking.

I could still see flashing images of her younger self like the little girl version of her in the video by the behavior and it slowly adds up. She's still the innocent little girl...

"So it was you," her voice was calm and collected but her eyes shot death glares.

"No Stefani-

"No, you went through my personal belongings!" She called me out to the fine print.

"Yes, but wait-

"No! That was beyond personal!" Her eyes were enraged.

"It's sacred, I know but hear me out!" I pleaded but she waved me off.

"Unbelievable. Of all things, snooping was the least thing I predicted coming from you Lillian. You and Kent are alike as of today. You're meant for eachother. NEVER has anyone EVER went through my personal belongings. NOT EVEN RACHEL," Stefani grabbed her house key and the doorbell rang.

"Stefani, I know we can talk this out," I was almost pleading.

"No, I don't want to talk this out. Congratulations on your fucking engagement and soon marriage. Trust me, I won't be getting in the way. I'm moving out!" Her eyes were dilated and pitch black.

"Wait- you are?" Rachel was at the doorstep.

"Stefani!" I could feel tears welling up.

"You could've asked, you know. I was starting to feel comfortable around you... I take it back. All of it. If you can't leave, I will. So don't worry," she took one last glance to look at me pathetically with a forceful scoff as she slammed the door and locked it.

I curled up sitting on the couch trying to cope but I just feel like a mess.

This was not what I intended. I'm not even back at square one. I'm in the negatives with my relationship with Stefani now.

But I won't give up. I'm just now starting to see her.

I saw it.

I saw her. The real her...

A/N: can somebody tell me did I already provide a name for Stefani's biological mom? I'm really jumbled in the head with details from different books rn.

I need a lil help😭