17 - grab your passport and my hand

SKYLAR

And when you find everything you looked for, I hope your life leads you back to my door. Oh, but if it don't, stay beautiful...

Stay Beautiful played quietly in the background from my phone on the bed as I sat on the cold wooden floor. The temperature had dropped to below thirty-two degrees this past week and I glanced up to see it snowing through the window. I was used to a bit of snow back in Jackson but it concerned me a little that it was still snowing every time I looked outside.

Ayleen told me that if school got canceled because of a snow day, they'd take days away from our spring break. I wasn't a hundred percent sure if she was telling the truth or not because that had never happened in my old school, but she swore on her Beyoncé albums so it had to be true.

I had only seen Taylor once after her tour ended. She came to see me for a day, two weeks ago, and gave me a cat onesie that she had bought in Japan.

My room was a mess from a recent sleepover with Maeve, Ayleen and Sadie, and there were clothes and bedding and stuff everywhere. I was sitting on the floor wearing the onesie and wrapping my birthday gifts for Taylor when the music stopped and ...Ready For It? replaced it.

Standing up, I saw an unknown number on the screen and hesitated before I picked up. "Uhm, hello? Skye speaking."

"Skye, hi. It's Joe. Uh, Taylor's boyfriend."

A subconscious smile appeared on my lips as soon as I heard Joe's familiar British accent. I'd only talked to him once since the day of the memorial service — and that was only because he'd been in the same room as Taylor when I'd talked to her on the phone — so I had to admit that I was a little surprised to hear his voice.

"Joe? Hi! How'd you get my number?" I went over to sit on the bed and watched the white icy flakes fall outside my window in the light coming from the round pendant lamp in my bedroom.

"I got it from Taylor's phone. Don't tell her," he said, making me laugh. "Uh, I called because... you probably know it's Taylor's birthday in two days?"

I glanced down at the half-wrapped set of cat measuring cups and the pair of cat-shaped earrings that I hadn't had time to wrap yet.

"Yeah, I'm aware," I replied with a smile.

"Yeah, so, I'm in America right now to promote my new film, and I thought that maybe I could pick you up before I leave, and you could come with me to London to surprise Taylor on her birthday?"

My mouth turned into the shape of an 'o' and I forgot to breathe for a second. "Oh my god!" I squealed, sounding a little too much like Janice for my liking. "That sounds amazing! I would love that! There's just one small problem..."

"What's that?"

"I still have school this week."

I bowed my head and waited for him to say something like 'Oh, well it was just a thought, bye then', but instead he said, "Oh, well would you hate it if I told them you were sick?"

"What?!" I exclaimed and started to involuntarily laugh out loud. "You would do that?" I don't know why but it was very hard for me to imagine Joe lying to my school to get me out of there.

"Yes, but only because I really want you to be there for Taylor's birthday. If you're up for it, then could you please pass the phone to your foster parents so I could talk to them?"

My face fell, knowing it would take a lot of convincing for Alice to let me skip three days of school, but if Joe was willing to let me skip, then maybe he wanted it enough to be able to talk her into it.