~14~

It was Asteria's favourite lesson that week, Care of Magical Creatures, a subject she was one of the best in

It was Asteria's favourite lesson that week, Care of Magical Creatures, a subject she was one of the best in. So that day, she headed down the dirt path to the forbidden forest with a crowd of students who also took the class.

A crowd was already forming around the proud-looking caretaker as he stood in a clearing in the forest. "Gather round." He ordered in his booming voice which seemed to echo in the trees.

"Today we will be looking at Bowtruckles!" He announced, shouting which he found diff to not do. That was when Asteria noticed the large plant he stood by which had many small green leafy looking creatures on.

"They are very difficult to spot due to their appearance." Hagrid began as he held his giant hand by a leaf and allow a Bowtruckle to climb onto his hand, looking even smaller in the Professor's great hands.

"They aren't extremely dangerous so don't be afraid to hold your hand out and allow one the climb on." He told the class who instantly huddled around the plant and allowed the creatures to crawl into their hands.

Asteria, who was at the back of the crowd, was the last to approach the plant to find that there was one left. She barely noticed him hiding behind the stem. She held out her hand beside it but the creature didn't move until it looked up at her and timidly moved onto her hand.

It had long, sharp fingers, small brown eyes, and the appearance of a flat-faced stick figure made of bark and twigs which severed as camouflage.

"Ah, you seem to of got the shyest in the bunch," Hagrid told the Hufflepuff students who glanced up at him before looking back at the small creature with a smile.

"I suggest not threatening them or they will attempt to gouge your eyes out," Hagrid informed the class which made them all freeze still, some putting them back onto the plant they picked them up from.

However, Asteria didn't and allowed the Bowtruckle to climb up her arms to her shoulder. That was when she noticed how much smaller it was compared to all the others. "I like you." She told the Bowtruckle who seemed to smile at her. "Do you have a name?" She asked the creature who shook its head. "How about Herbert?" She asked which made the Bowtruckle nod and smile. "Herbert it is," Asteria replied with a warm grin.

Then, Hagrid ordered them to carefully put the Bowtruckles back into the plant as the lesson was about to end so Asteria gently put the creature back down before walking away and back to the castle.

She had no other subjects for the rest of the day so she headed back to her dormitory. When she got in, she threw her cloak off and hung it on a hook at the back of the door which was not sturdy.

She then moved in front of her mirror hanging on the wall behind her dresser. She pulled the top drawer to the chest of drawers open and pulled out a pair of socks when she glanced up to see something green hiding behind her curly locks.

Carefully, she lifted up her hand and picked up the thing which was hidden in her hair to see it was the same Bowtruckle that she had in Hagrid's lesson.

"What are you doing here?" She asked the small creature as she put him down on the wooden dresser. He looked down at his feet.
"Come on. I'll take you back." But when she turned to see the window, she discovered that it had already gone dark and it was way too cold outside.

So she jumped up to close the tiny window at the top of the wall. "Are you okay with staying here for the night?" She turned to ask the Bowtruckle who looked up with an excited grin.

Asteria smiled back as she held out her flat hand for him to climb on before allowing him to crawl onto a plant that was by her bedside. Afterward, she got changed and headed to bed as well.

She lay on her side, her hands under her head, and stared at the Bowtruckle who circled around the plant to find the most comfortable spot before collapsing on a certain leaf.