07 Nostalgia

You have always approached everything terrible trustfully. You have wanted to pet every monster.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Him

His eyes fixate on the scar stretching down his shoulder over his upper arm. He traces a finger over it, stuck between the two worlds-- one with and the other without her-- before tilting his head to run his tongue along the healing wound where her dagger had cut him. Such ferocity in her attack, his wound still burns as if raw, just like his love for her. That woman will forever be the queen of his heart.

He grins to himself as he kisses the corner of the scar she has given him, his lips grazing it full length in a feather caress before he pulls back.

"You think you're crazy in love, Buraq? But look at me. Who thought a woman with spellbinding eyes will bring a villain like me to his knees? Sorceress, isn't she?" He laughs.

 Who thought a woman with spellbinding eyes will bring a villain like me to his knees? Sorceress, isn't she?" He laughs

Her

"Annas!"

The stable is lined with horses on both sides of her as she walks with Eskander towards a man feeding one in a stall. He looks in their direction at Eskander's call.

"Prepare my horse," Eskander orders. "Prepare one for the lady too."

"Can I have the same one I rode here on with Adam?" Noura requests.

"I don't know which one it was, azizem."

"It was gray with white spots on it."

Eskander chuckles at her description and then motions the man over. He comes to stand in front of them, eyes downcast.

"Annas, which horse did Adam take with him from the palace besides his own when he left for Isfahan?"

A few minutes later, Annas has prepared for Eskander his horse and the same one for Noura she had asked for. She lovingly pets its mane and grins joyously.

"I still haven't name him," she says and Eskander arches an eyebrow at her.

"You want to?"

"Uh huh. I asked Adam and he said I can." She turns to look up at Eskander as he steps closer to her, holding the reins of his horse. "His mare is named Hayat. She's a beautiful one."

"Yusuf bin Khalid had a pair, a black stallion and a white mare, named Buraq and Hayat," he tells her. "Hayat was the last gift of the caliph to his wife before he was dethroned. Queen Arwa refused to keep it after her husband and gifted the horse to Adam instead."

"Oh." Noura doesn't know what to say in reply to the information. It sounds like a tragic love story the ending of which isn't to her likings. "What about the stallion?"