Part 54

It stays quiet, and by the time the clock strikes 6 am, Sabrina is fast asleep, and Conrad is twitching in her chair.

Carlos had stayed in the hospital, as Conrad had wanted. She would have liked him there for a little extra security, but he wasn't in fighting form, and she'd never put him at risk.

The entire floor was silent, and nobody had moved from their apartments all night. She had been watching the security cameras intently, ready to tell people to get back in.

The sun is slowly rising, and the beams flit in through the slightly open blinds.

She stands up from her chair, her knees and hips clicking in unison as she moves for the first time in hours.

Conrad peers through the blinds, noting the absence of people or cars outside. She can see their vehicle abandoned by the emergency entrance, but nobody is near it. Rogues may act ballsy at night, but they usually wouldn't risk being caught in the capital in daylight. While there was security at night, it was a lot less concentrated than during the day.

She mindlinks Carlos nervously, glancing back at the security cameras.

Something doesn't feel right to her.

Yeah, it's probably the two hours of sleep we're running on. You're paranoid, you dumb bitch, Jane groans.

Conrad brushes her wolf off, pursing her lips and putting her gun down.

She's exhausted, and she wants to try to get an hour of sleep before Sabrina wakes up.

Guards are there. They've just swapped shifts, but they're definitely there. Get some sleep, baby, Carlos pleads, and Conrad rubs her temples.

She has a headache, which could probably be attributed to the stress of the entire week.

She closes the blind fully and walks into her bedroom, gently laying down on the bed.

Waking Sabrina up isn't a situation that Conrad wants to handle, so she lays on top of the sheets, face-down into the pillow.

Her mind is still racing, but she knows that if she doesn't rest, she'll be useless for the day.

It feels like the door bursts open as soon as she closes her eyes, and she immediately scrambles for her gun, forgetting she left it in the kitchen.

"Daddy," Sabrina screams, jumping off the bed and into the arms of Carlos, who's rubbing his shoulder with a frown on his lips.

"Hello. I thought you guys would be awake by now," he comments, looking back at the door ruefully.

"I was awake! I've been awake for hours; Con was asleep!" Sabrina shrugs.

He burst through the door when he didn't hear any response after ringing the doorbell for a while, because he was concerned something had happened.

"We could have gone out for a walk. You broke my door," Conrad groans, slowly sitting up.

"You look like a troll doll," Sabrina comments, skipping back to the bed and sitting at the feet.

"Thank you, Rina, that really makes me feel happy about the day ahead of us," Conrad grumbles.

She looks to Carlos, who - while pale - looks a lot better than he had the day before.

For one, he could stand unaided.

"What time is it?" Conrad asks suddenly, looking at her watch.

"Midday," Carlos replies, leaning against the doorframe.