[57] It Gets Worse

Walking out of the room to feel the fresh sunlight against my pale skin felt way too difficult than I had expected.

After the whole adventure that I pulled that night with Pete and family, and failed at fulfilling the mission, I didn't have the courage collected in my heart to face those smirks on the Lycans' faces. Especially, that Anton. For sure I knew, he won't let this go without attempting to bring me down for failing.

I wasn't ready to give anyone any chances to ridicule my efforts of reaching the border or worse, hear anything against my family.

Even if someone wouldn't say it, their eyes would enjoy the defeat on my face.

Pete won at his effort. I lost.

And now, they weren't letting me see Keev too, telling me that I wasn't physically and mentally ready for it.

Laying on the bed felt safe and yet torturous as each moment was filled with encountering Karam's deepest memories.

During the marking, the rush of memories from his birth to the very moment of his teeth sinking into my neck displayed in a flash. But now, these were occupying my mind and I was unable to think.

I was being forced to not think about anything else but his life. The more I learnt, the more I felt affected. I couldn't stop it. Not that I wanted to. Especially, after knowing that he himself, a Lycan, was trying to sincerely look for a solution to break the border.

So, I curled back on the bed in the dark room, despite Nysa's suggestion of going out. I hugged the pillow to my chest and stared into the dark wall.

To recall the moments he might not have talked about to anyone else.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

"Do not cry."

She cries more. These days, everyone I see just shed tears.

I don't blame them.

It just keeps getting worse.

"No one cares when a male touches another female," says Rosetta while my eyes observe the drenched red dress sticking to her skin, defining all the curves.

If only I knew she would be here, sneaking up on me in the lake during my bath, I wouldn't have come.

Trying to swim close to me, with her bare shoulders reminding me the bloodshed Nysa did in front of Robin, I swam away to the shore and wore my clothes within a blink before she could see what I didn't want her to.

And now, she says the words that she has been thinking of saying all these years. I have been aware of her emotions. But I also knew that she isn't my mate.

"I do, Rose. I care." I tell her calmly. "My mate will care. Even if she doesn't, I will hate to lose my honor in your mate's eyes."

Her lips curl up in a sob. "I am never seeing my mate, Karam."

The female who intimidated every male here, who behaved strong in front of her Beta father, was opening up her heart to me. And I was breaking it.

"You will, on the Moon." I say while trying hard not to run away from her.

The way she gazes me up and down, makes me want to look at her too. It has been the closest I have experienced with a female.