Chapter 4: Insecure

Chapter 4: Insecure

Indi Sky

I was physically sitting in my 2nd period science class, but my mind was elsewhere. I was lost in the stressful planning of my Sweet 16 — which was in three weeks. I had no idea what I wanted to do, but of course my parents wanted me to throw a huge party. I immediately said no.

It's not that I was against having a huge party, I just didn't have anyone to invite. I wasn't popular in school, that was all Amir and Kali. If they threw a party the entire school would be there. My guest list would consist of Amir, Kali, CJ, my parents, a few kids I'd gone to school with since elementary, and maybe... well, Jace.

"So I'm going to assign partners for your upcoming project," My teacher's voice brought me out of my trance.

I rolled my eyes and lightly sighed to myself. I absolutely hated group projects. They really just resulted in one person doing all the work while everyone else received the grade. And since I really hated Science, but took my grade very seriously, I knew I would be the one putting in extra work to keep my 4.0 GPA in tact.

"You will be working in groups of two," Mr. Jones instructed while pulling a clipboard from his desk. "Chelsea Anderson and Marcus James..." He started calling out names.

I grabbed my pencil and began doodling in my pink monogrammed notebook. It was my favorite color pink, not too bold and not too light, with an "I" initial. My full name "Indi Sky" was scribbled across the "I" in cursive. Mama had gotten it for me at the beginning of the school year and I absolutely loved it.

"Nolan Sparks and Indi Sky Sanders," I heard my name being called, causing me to drop my pencil onto the page of mindless doodles.

I peered up from behind my desk, willing myself to slow the thumping in my chest. Being put on the spot really sent my anxiety into overdrive, and I was really nervous about who I had been paired with. My eyes scanned the room in search of my partner, finally settling on a guy towards the back of the classroom. I hadn't had any conversation with him, but his face was familiar.

Nolan Sparks was handsome in his own right

Nolan Sparks was handsome in his own right. He had a strong, chiseled jaw-line accompanied by the scruffy beginnings of a beard, deep set dark brown eyes, and a perfectly tailored hairline. His lips were almost perfect it seemed and it was evident he did not skip out on the gym... at all. He had the build of a football player, but I didn't recall him being a star player or anything.

He gave me a short head nod, and I sent him a small wave in response. I made a mental note to catch up with him after class so we could begin planning our project. Although it wasn't due for another month I wanted to be ahead of the game. I didn't like to procrastinate—my grades were evidence of that.