December: Christmas Break Part 2

Chris POV

I put my phone in my pocket and finish cleaning up from my shift. Daphne thinks I'm headed home to sleep but I've got a few errands to take care of first. Honestly, I'm too excited to sleep at this point.
"Want to grab breakfast before you head home," Hayden asks me. "Can't today. I've got an appointment at 9 am. But I'll see you Sunday," I tell him heading out the door.
I'm sure I would've had time for breakfast if I didn't already have a breakfast date ahead of me. It had taken some rearranging of schedules but thankfully things had worked out. I point the truck in the direction of the Jeffries home.
While knocking on the door I can feel my nerves getting stronger. Laura opens the door inviting me in, greeting me with a tight hug. I stop in the foyer to remove my boots since I'm still in uniform. "Come on in. Adam was just finishing up putting the food out on the patio."
I follow her to the back door stepping out into the room that has held many recent nights of laughter and meals. It's fitting that this conversation takes place here. "Chris, good to see you," Adam Jeffries says putting his hand out before me. I return the gesture in the hopes that I'm not too clammy.
They gesture for me to sit. "Thank you both for being available this morning. I know you had to move somethings around with work."
"It sounded important," says Laura as she begins passing the food around.
I decide to wait to continue until the plates are full and Adam says a blessing. Then I begin. "Well, Mr. Jeffries and I have already sort of had this conversation but I asked him not to say anything about it to anyone." I see Laura throw a look his way, mock aggravation on her face. He and I both chuckle at her as he throws his hands up and says, "what's said between men, stays between men." He pauses, "until I'm told I can share."
I continue. "Simply put, I'm asking if I have your blessing to propose to Daphne?"
"How long ago did you have this conversation, Adam?" She asks her husband, crooking her eyebrow. "Chris asked me the morning of Ollie's wedding actually. He said he didn't know when but he was sure he wanted to marry her." He now looks at me. "I'm assuming you're asking again because you're closer to knowing when?"
"Yes sir. I started paying on a ring as soon as we came back from the mountains. My hope is to propose during her break from school."
I look back at Laura now who has tears spilling from her eyes and a wide grin. "You are the answer to 29 years of prayer, Chris. You certainly have my blessing." She grabs her husband's hand. "I'm guessing you already gave yours?" He nods his head.
Adam sits back in his chair and looks me in the eye. "As long as you take care of her, love her, comfort her, and protect her you have not only our blessing but our respect for years to come."
I return his gaze. "Yes sir, you have my word. I will love your daughter til my dying breath."
Laura wipes away the last of her tears and wipes her nose with her napkin. "So sometime during break. That means I'll have to keep my emotions in check if it hasn't happened by Christmas," she says with her eyes wide. "How am I suppose to do that?"
Adam chuckles at his wife's reaction. "Maybe don't spend too much time around Daphne, honey."
We enjoy our meal continuing our conversation of how best to not let Daphne know what is coming. I glance at my watch and notice it's now 8 am. "I need to be heading out. I've got to run home, walk Dodger and shower before my next meeting at 9. Thanks again for breakfast. I really appreciate it."
"I'm gonna be nosy. What appointment do you have next?" Daphne's mom asks me.
I find myself trying to decide how to answer the question. "Let's just say it's another step in my process." I leave them both on the porch with a wave goodbye.

~~~

Daphne POV

  All of the teachers are standing around the bus loop, adorned in our pajamas, waving and yelling goodbye to our students, wishing them a Merry Christmas. As soon as the last bus pulls out our goodbyes change to shouts of Hallelujahs. We have officially survived the first half of the school year. And to celebrate we are all going to lunch together as a staff Christmas party of sorts.
  No one carpools to the banquet hall because as soon as lunch is done we are free to go home. I'm hoping we won't be made to play any games like last year.
  I walk in and find the other kindergarten teachers at a table together. It's not unusual for grade levels to stay together. I guess you could call it cliques. I get along with everyone but we do tend to gravitate towards those we spend the most time with.
  "Here's our fearless leader!" Sue calls out as I approach the table. The ladies at the table start clapping.
  "Ha ha ha," I say sarcastically. Being grade level chair is definitely more work but I enjoy it. It's also quite a thankless job but I try not to dwell on that part.
  I take the empty seat next to Sue and Marilyn. Sue was my mentor teacher when I started teaching. Then two years ago I was Marilyn's mentor teacher. I appreciate the bonds that have brought us together.
  "What's your plans this year? Cancun? Jamaica?" I ask Sue.
  "Well the kids are all spending Christmas with their in laws so we are taking the full two weeks and going to Hawaii," she said excitedly. "Since Randy retired we decided to spend as much time traveling as we can."
  "You'll have to send me pictures! I've always wanted to go but am not a big fan of flying. You throw in flying over an ocean? I need Valium for sure," I say shuddering at the thought.
  Sue leans over and asks Marilyn if she's doing anything extra fun with her children for Christmas. "We are actually going to Matt's parents in Colorado. Hello, white Christmas," she squeals. "The kids are excited to go sledding more than anything. Although they have asked if Santa will know where to find them."
  "No way! I'm so jealous! I've always wanted to experience a white Christmas," I whine.
  "What about you Daphne? Big plans with the paramedic?" Sue asks me as she wiggles her brows at me.
  I let out a big breath of air. "I'm actually going to meet his siblings. For the first time. On Christmas Day," I say feeling that familiar nervousness I get every time I think about it.
  "Another holiday spent with each other's family.  Sounds serious," Marilyn says.
  "We'll see. I mean, my family loved him immediately. I can only hope for the same."

  Lunch was catered by The Chicken House. As always it was delicious and I ate way too much. Apparently the principal decided she wasn't giving us the gift on an early day and made us play games until 2:30 pm. If you've ever hung around teachers then you know we have our own secret language of looks and eye rolls. We exchanged several during the game time.
  At 2:45 pm I'm finally free. What to do with myself now, I think. I decide to head home and take a nap. I mean is there really any better way to start a vacation? I think not. I mean I'm already in pajamas so why not take advantage. I shoot Chris a quick text telling him I'm going to lay down for a bit but I can't wait to see him tonight.

~~~

Chris POV

  I glance at my phone as I put Dodgers leash away. Quickly I respond to Daphne's text. 'Can't wait for you to see what I have planned. Nap well, love.' Send.
  After my several appointments this morning I was able to finally crawl into bed at 3 pm. Knowing I was picking Daphne up at 7, I set an alarm for 6. Three hours isn't much but to be honest I'll be shocked if I fall asleep at all.
  Things are falling into place. I've never been happier. The emptiness I felt has disappeared. I finally begin drifting off as I give a silent thanks to God and dream of hearing Daphne say yes.

  Walking up to Daphne's door I'm running through the checklist in my head one more time. Before knocking I first attempt to turn the door knob. Good, she remembered to lock it, I thought. I give a double knock and wait for an answer. It takes a couple of minutes more than normal. By the time Daphne opens the door I've knocked three times.
  "Hey babe," she says as she opens the door. She steps back from the door so I can enter. "Everything okay? Or was the nap not a good idea?" I ask.
  She hesitates in her answer but gives a light chuckle. "Yeah, no, I'm all good. Um, I just need to grab my bag from the kitchen and I'll be ready." Before walking off she leans in to kiss my cheek. I hang out by the door waiting for her.
  Suddenly, I hear a scream followed by a thud. I run into the kitchen and find Daphne doubled over on the kitchen floor. "Daph, what's going on?" I kneel on the floor in front of her.
  She looks up at me, her face twisted in pain. "I'm not sure. It feels like I'm being stabbed."
  "Do you think you can walk?" She attempts to stand but struggles. I help her to her feet and bring her to the couch. She lays down on her side still holding her lower abdomen. "Have you had this pain before?"
  Nodding, "a few times. It'll go away in a couple of minutes," she tells me.
  I may be a medic but let's face it, when it's someone you love in pain you kind of forget everything you know. "Maybe we should take you to the hospital."
  She shakes her head no. "It's easing up now. I'll be fine." 
  "Daphne."
  "Christopher.  I'm fine, just give me a couple more minutes and we can go out."
  I want to make her go to the hospital but I know she's stubborn. I tell myself if it doesn't stop completely in the next thirty minutes then I'll drag her to the hospital if I have to. "I'm not taking you out tonight, not after this."
  She's ready to fight me on this as she tries to sit up straight. "But you planned a date and I want to go on it."
  "There's always a plan B," I tell her although I am admittedly sad to not be completing plan A tonight. "I'm going to order food and we can have a movie night, okay? All night if you want to." 
  I start to see a small smile and a look of relief on her face as she lays back down on the couch. "You want Dodger to cuddle?" I ask. She gives me a nod. "Ok, I'm going run home real quick and grab Dodger and bring him over. I'll be back in less than ten minutes. I'm gonna take your keys so you don't need to get up and unlock the door." 
  I give her a kiss on her forehead, one for comfort but also to check for a fever. She's cool. I quickly drive home and unpack the truck, putting away all of the items I had needed for our original date.
  Grabbing Dodger I load him into the truck. "Well bubba, looks like we wait a little longer," I tell him as I head back to Daphne.