52 | Joie

"Spring break! Spring break!"

               I came in behind the kids that were chanting happily to be out of school for the next few days. I placed a smile on my mouth, kicking the door shut, and met up with them inside the kitchen while they rummaged in the pantry and refrigerator for snacks.

               "Hey guys, how do y'all feel about a Spring break trip?"

               Gunner poked his head out the pantry quickly. "Really? Where?"

               "Ooh, can we go somewhere with a beach?" Heidi asked.

               "Sandcastles!" Misty exclaimed.

               "The beach huh?" I walked up beside Misty who sat on the island chair and rubbed her sleek ponytail. "What about South Padre Island? Y'all love it there. It's in Texas, pretty close."

               "And we went before." Gunner came out the pantry with a pack of Pringles. "Can we go to Mexico?"

               "We could but Heidi doesn't have a passport. What about Panama City Beach?" I suggested, "It's in Florida and we've never been. We can turn it into a road trip. Leave out in the morning."

               Someone rung the doorbell and Heidi raced out to answer it as Misty shouted, "We're going on a trip!"

               I grinned happily at Misty and Gunner's dance.

               "Some lady's here for you." Heidi told me and I left out the kitchen to the foyer where Tanika stood.

               Tanika had on a nice fit—sage green satin blouse and trousers. Her tresses were brushed back in a neat ponytail and a purse hung on her left shoulder. She eyeballed the frame of pictures mounted on the walls.

               I folded my arms. "Why are you in my house?"

               My question averted her attention to me. "You wanted to know why I left so abruptly last time. It wasn't because I was on drugs."

               "Okay, and what's your excuse for disappearing this time?"

               Tanika clasped her hands together in front of her. "Your birth father."